A Roman Holiday – Minus Audrey Plus Aphrodite


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus
February 14th 2011
Published: February 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

As part of any Cyprus jaunt one has to include old stuff – and include old stuff we have. Cyprus thanks to its location has always been popular amongst tourists. And by tourists we mean the Romans, Venetians, Ottomans as well as those who come every year from Germany and Sweden.

For centuries the island has been the hang out of choice thanks to its proximity between Europe, Asia and Africa not to mention the glorious weather, chilled out locals and resources. As a result souvenirs have been left behind. And now that we are full blown explorers we went off to investigate said souvenirs.

We ventured off towards the western side of the island through the touristy city of Limassol – which apart from the old town and castle can be avoided at all costs – towards Kolossi Castle. Brief history lesson begins here so tune out if it’s not your thing…Kolossi originally thought to have been built around 1201 by the Franks and then given to King Hugh 1 (yeh, really, King Hugh) before it was re-designed by a few others including Richard the Lionheart of all people.

Kolossi maybe old, but our next stop would knock it’s socks off. Kourion an ancient Roman town is a wee bit older, and by older we mean 2nd century BC. Complete with its amazing amphitheatre, gorgeous views and impressive ruins its one of the ‘must sees’ of anyone visiting the island. I think Susan may have also enjoyed the fresh grilled meats and cold Keo beer served down at the beach below as well.

Being Valentine’s Day we had to visit the supposed birthday place of the goddess Aphrodite. The magnificent rocks don any Cyprus tourist poster and are, pretty impressive. Legend says swim around the rock three times at full moon and you live forever, but we gave it a miss as it was, well, bloody freezing. Instead we admired the handy work of many lovers who had poured their artistic talents into love hearts dotted around the pebbled beach.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.317s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb