Cyprus


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus » Limassol
June 23rd 2011
Published: August 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our 5th tour in as many days took us over to the ancient ruins of Kourion. The most impressive part of this extensive archaeological site is the luxurious house of Eustolious. This home was originally built in the early Christian period around 330-400 AD. It had and extensive layout with Roman baths, well preserved mosaics, and even stone pipes to bring water into the house. The greek writings in the tile floors also proved that this was built by a Christian family. Right next to the house was a theatre originally built in the Hellenistic period (310-30 BC) and rebuilt/expanded in the Roman period (30 BC - 330 AD). Paul and Barnabas once visited Kourion, but their most famous missionary work on the island of Cyprus was in Paphos.
We made a stop to see the ancient sanctuary/temple of Apollo Ylatis, God of the woodland. This site was used from the 8th century BC to the 4th century AD. Our frumpy guide (who was in a terrible rush and never cracked a smile) then took our group out of the way to Omodos Village to see an old wine press. We saw another Greek Orthodox church there and did some shopping before returning to the ship.
After lunch we ran off and toured the Limassol Castle where Richard the Lionhearted married Berengaria of Navarre and made her Queen of England in the 12th century. Inside the old castle there is now a museum of medieval artifacts and Christian relics. We especially enjoyed the early Christian paintings and tombstones. Thank you Jesus for your servant Paul and the early Christians in Cyprus. Amen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb