The last Blog..... for now anyways!


Advertisement
Europe
July 12th 2006
Published: July 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone
As most of you already know by now I am back in Calgary- and have been for about 3 weeks now. The last month of travelling was really busy, and the internet connections were pretty dodgy in a lot of places- thus i never kept you all upto date on my adventure... but now I will!

I already completed a blog for Ireland so I wont bore you with more details from that but overall it was a great country to visit. The people are all very friendly, there is always beer to be drank, the scenery is beautiful and its affordable to visit. I found there its very similar to Scotland in many ways but also has its own personality.

Since I got home I have been thinking about how I want to make this last blog a memorable one... and I think that I am going to let the pictures do most of the talking - so i am going to keep the writing to a minimum and let you all enjoy all the breathtaking scenery that I saw that month.

Just to give you a quick overview of our trip though----
Country #1: Scotland- Carly flew into Glasgow at the end of May and we stayed there a couple days. I showed here all the hot spots and she was a HUGE help getting me organized and ready to backpack!

Country #2: Ireland- We started out in Belfast and then ended off the 5 days in Dublin. During these days we saw the Giants Cuaseway, took a few pubcrawls, and did some shopping

Country #3: Italy- Flying from Dublin to Venice was fairly cheap and the camping was even cheaper. Finding our way around Venice was definitly an adventure into itself but getting lots of pictures made it all worth it.

Country #4: Greece- to get from Venice to Corfu island we took a 24 hour ferry ride. This island was mountainous and the hostel was a great time.
Athens: We took a short flight here and got out as quick as we could. Its a very expensive city of 5 million people, but seeing the Acropolis was a definite highlight.
Ios: another ferry ride took us here, a place with lots of sun, great beaches and a night life like nothing i had ever seen.
Santorini: the size of this island compared to the others prompted us to rent a car for a day so we could see it all. But when you see pictures of typical Greece, this is where they are taken for sure! The white washed and blue building made it a great place for pictures.
Mykonos: apparently this is 'the gay island' but we still managed to find lots of places to party. There were huge yachts docking all the time and the scenery (again) was great!
Kos: our last stop on the 2006 Greek island tour. Palm trees and ancient ruins were the main attractions here.

Country #5: Holand- we flew from Kos into Amsterdam and stayed here for 2 nights. The hostel we booked was right in the heart of the Red Light District and thus always had interesting people watching opportunities.

Country *6- England- we both flew out of London so we spent one night here spending any cash we had left (at our fav store- Primark) and trying to squish all my stuff from the past 6 months into 2 huge bags!!

I was back in Canada just in time for the beginning of Stampede- and had the
enjoying REAL pizzaenjoying REAL pizzaenjoying REAL pizza

We sat on the side of the cannal and ate these huge pieces of pizza!
opportunity to go down to the Stampede grounds a few time. I am currently working with my Dad doing landscaping and working at keeping up my tan 😊

Well that pretty much sums everything up- but keep checking back for more pictures becuase my camera was broken and Carly has lots of better ones- as soon as I get them I will post some on here!

Andrea 😊





Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

where we sleptwhere we slept
where we slept

This was the tent (with 2 beds) we rented out! It was a cheap and fun experience :)
Pigeons everywhere!Pigeons everywhere!
Pigeons everywhere!

One actually landed on Carly's back- lol
Our home for 24 hoursOur home for 24 hours
Our home for 24 hours

This is where we sat on the LONG ferry ride from Venice to Corfu, Greece... we didnt get much sleep but did catch up on some reading.
Wow!Wow!
Wow!

This was the view we had from our balcony at the Pink Palace Hostel in Corfu.
Toga PartyToga Party
Toga Party

They had traditional greek dancing and this guy dancing around with the table in his mouth- insanity!
Quad SafariQuad Safari
Quad Safari

this was a great day!
Quad SafariQuad Safari
Quad Safari

Carly's bike broke on this HUGE mountain
Quad SafariQuad Safari
Quad Safari

We stopped at this beach along the way to cool off!
Beautiful flowersBeautiful flowers
Beautiful flowers

This bright pink flowers are everywhere- gotta find out the name of them!
AthensAthens
Athens

This is me in the ancient theater...
AthensAthens
Athens

The infamous pantheon
Ios, GreeceIos, Greece
Ios, Greece

This is the family run hotel we found by meeting a girl on the beach! I would recommend it to anyone.
Ios, GreeceIos, Greece
Ios, Greece

In my opinion, this beach was the nicest one we visited. The sand was really soft and the water was pretty warm!
Ios, GreeceIos, Greece
Ios, Greece

When i ordered the cheapest shot in the bar i was NOT expecting this!
Ios, GreeceIos, Greece
Ios, Greece

This is their 'city center'. White washed building with blue doors everywhere- it looks like a postcard.
Ios, GreeceIos, Greece
Ios, Greece

Our favorite bartender! We met his dad one day on the bus and he recommeneded that we go to his sons bar- they were a really friendly American family!


Tot: 3.664s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0494s; 3; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb