Last few days of Europe - Munich, Milan, Parma, Siena and Rome


Advertisement
Europe
August 2nd 2012
Published: August 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After Frankfurt we headed across Germany to Munich where we continued our sampling of the local beer and food and also ticked off the main tourist sites, the highlight of which was watching the river surfing that took place in the English garden.

We then set off on our journey south passing through Austria and Switzerland and stopping in Milan for a night to catch up with Tom's cousins, Anthony and Sarah. Next stop was Parma which was one of the highlights of our Europe trip. A lovely little town bursting with parmesan, parma ham and balsamic vinegar, yum, safe to say we overindulged for a few days at a couple of local restaurants. Our favourite restaurant was a little family run place where you got to choose your own wine from their 1000 year old cellar. We continued our food journey in Bologna where we stopped for the local dish of spaghetti bolognese.

We spent our last few days, before heading back to Rome, in Tuscany, where we spent a couple of nights in Siena, went on a Chianti wine tour and visited the hilltown of Montalcino. The whole of Tuscany was just stunning, definitely somewhere we'd like to visit again.

Back to Rome our last few days were pretty non descript. We stayed at a campsite just outside Rome which was a pain to get to but meant we got very familiar with the Rome bus service (or lack of). We checked out a few of the sights we had missed the first time around like the Pantheon and also visited the neighbourhood of Trastevere which had a lot going on and we wished we'd visited there earlier as would have been a great place to stay for a day or two.

Just to sum up, here's our top three highlights of Europe:

Tom's:

3. Mt Blanc / Chamonix

2. Night time sight seeing in Florence

1. Parma

Lucy's:

3. Chianti wine tour

2. Visiting Sabrina in Frankfurt

1. Parma


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb