London, ENG - Olympics Day #5


Advertisement
Europe
August 5th 2012
Published: August 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We have been on vacation for a number of weeks now and we have been so lucky with the weather. Today, however, was the exception. When faced with the prospect of going downtown to watch the Women’s Marathon event and see them 3 times in 3 hours amid (as described on the weather channel) ‘torrential rain storms’ we opted to stay in. We did try, but we only made it a block from the hostel before turning back to sneak in a little bit more sleep and catch up on our updates on here.

After getting some extra rest, we made our way to our final Gordon Ramsay restaurant – Foxtrot Oscar for his famous Sunday Roast. Foxtrot Oscar is actually a stones throw away from his original restaurant ‘Gordon Ramsay’. As the story goes, after long 16 hour days in the kitchen, Gordon would walk a few store fronts down to this bar in order to have a couple drinks. As his success increased he pondered why he was spending his money at someone else’s bar – so he bought the place and then eventually turned it into the restaurant it is today. The head chef at Foxtrot Oscar is actually a Canadian. Kerry was kind enough to make us a special homemade poutine and complimentary desert due to our common bond of nationality! The meal itself was delicious. Kristy had the best burger ever and Will had the best traditional Yorkshire pudding, au jus, potatoes and beef as well.

Our final event taking place in Olympic Park was at the Aquatic Centre for the Women’s Individual 3m Springboard Diving Final. We went in with high hopes after Emilie Haymens and Jennifer Abel combined for a bronze medal in the synchronized version of this event last week. Sadly, our hopes did not materialize as Emilie had a definite off night. After each round though, Jennifer moved up here placed and ended the evening in a respectable 6th place. Our night at the Aquatic Centre was capped off after a quick catch-up and photo opportunity with Jennifer. She was all smiles as her Olympics come to an end and she is able to enjoy the rest of the Games as a spectator!

We made it back to our hostel after some queuing (as the British call it – we just say waiting in long friggin’ lines) at the subway and train stations and it is time for bed after a very long day. Only two sleeps left on the bunks!

Cheers,
Kristy & Will


Additional photos below
Photos: 66, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



9th August 2012

Photo
Photo 14 could be a canvas print! It would look great enlarged:) You have so many amazing pics.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb