Not since 1972....


Advertisement
Europe
January 4th 2012
Published: January 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What a surprise tour....Picture being lead through the Vatican by Woody Allen. It was something else, we are at a loss for words. Having our private tour guide really was an advantage. Lines were hours long to get in and through certain sections, with our guide we were usered to the front and around no questions asked.

After we found our way back to the Jewish Getto via our double decker tour bus to Nonna Betta - for one of the best meals of the trip. As we first entered the restaurant we were teetering on being thrown out by the waiter who we think was a former Isreali Commando as he had just ushered out two other American girls for trying to order only dessert and coffee? Apparently they required a full meal or nothing. Of course we were able to turn his perception as at the end of our fantastic meal the Isreali Commando brought us two after dinner drinks on the house (while we where there we did not see him offer this to any other guests). Leslie felt torn on taking an authentic menu to add to her collection so we asked for a copy of the menu and the gracious owner came to us offering one for free and the whole staff circled around our table thanking us for the compliment.

Back on the double decker bus to St Peters Square and the Sistine Chapel. Woody Allen had let us in on a little secret, a mass starts at 4:30 and no real lines of tourist are at that hour. Not knowing how we were amongst the chosen to be allowed into the pews for the service, we found ourselves seated a few rows back in a very formal Mass. While unable to tell who was conducting the service, I am going with the Pope since he is in town. After Leslie took it upon herself to step into confession, first time since 1972. I do believe she stumped the priest. There were an awful lot of gasps and several times dead silence. Numerous Hail Mary's later Leslie was rewarded with a small momento card with a tiny peice of Pope John Paul's robe and a blessed Mother pendent.

What an exciting day....

Tomorrow ancient Rome Tour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb