BELGIUM


Advertisement
Europe
June 26th 2010
Published: July 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Location: Antwerp, Brussels, Ghent, Bruges
Length of Stay: 3 Days
Cost per Day: $78

Belgium is definitely the most culturally fascinating country visited in Europe thus far...
You know I kind of think that well... Italy is Italy and all things Italian, Greece all things Greek and Germany all things German... but Belgium... well... this is like the whole of Europe rolled into 1... and add a little Middle East, a little Africa and a little Asia and you've got a smoking cultural hotpot...
Its certainly not the cleanest, nor the most sophisticated, however its got a special something that makes it stand out from the crowd...
I can understand why Belgium - Brussels was chosen as the political capital of the EU...
The powers to be made the perfect choice...

Antwerp the 2nd biggest city in Belgium of which you never hear anything about, was actually a really fantastic city... its the fashion - apparently following very closely on the heels of Milan and New York... (what happened to Paris), foodie and clubbing capital of the country...
And they say that Antwerp has close to 200 different nationalities living in it... more than New York...

Bruges was nice... I kept hoping that the gorgeous Colin Farrell might be in town filming In Bruges #2... Alas he was nowhere to be seen... 😊 actually I have only ever seen a few minutes of In Bruges... I must watch it in full sometime in the future...

And well, Belgium beer is pretty good... I quite like the Kriek which is cherry flavoured... its made with sour Morello cherries... its very nice...
You know the Belgium produce over 1000 beers... amazing... and they're not called pubs... they are cafes...

OK... UK is up next... finally... its been a long time coming...
and this is another of those confusing anomolies... Is it Britain, England, British, English and what about the Welsh, Irish, and Scottish... where do they fit into the picture... let you know soon... x


Additional photos below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

BELGIUMBELGIUM
BELGIUM

Ah... so this is where Tintin comes from... I used to love that comic book.. remember his dog snowy and the gruff Captain Haddock with his pipe...
BELGIUMBELGIUM
BELGIUM

a church jumble sale/flea market in Ghent...


4th July 2010

Flemish?
It's interesting how ye perceive Belgium,.... and your right!.....It is a nice wee place to visit.....Remind me to tell ye the story about the blue chalk and the tobelerone when ye get here.....LOL.....I'll confusing anomolie ye!!!......x
5th July 2010

Buildings/Architecture in Western Europe are very similar from town to town but are always nice to see....Thanks Nicole....x

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb