The Journey begins...


Advertisement
Europe
October 4th 2009
Published: October 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post



The first day 10/4/09 - This is the first installment of Larry and Gail’s travel bog.
The journey began by taking a flight on Delta operated by Northwest on a KLM plane. Jackie was kind enough to take us to the Marta - We started our “Celebration” of Gail’s Graduation (the Terminal Degree - Doctor (EDD)) going to Europe (Germany) for her Graduation Present (Mercedes - Benz) and “Celebration” of our 40 wonderful years of Marriage (Gail may see this a little differently) with a trip to Germany and France. John was nice enough to open up the Delta Crown Room for us and we met a member of the Old Geezers Band, Jack. We had a great conversation with him and we might try to get Heritage Sandy Springs to set them up for next year. Jack was working in Europe and gathering info for his Doctorate concerning Expats that remain in country even if they change jobs. Gail told him Tom and Jackie’s international story for him to use.

After a sleepless night on KLM for Gail (however, Larry slept like a baby), we landed in Amsterdam and were surprised to find that this is where we cleared customs - in long lines with no clear direction or signs. We of course got in a line that was great, but going to EU passports only, but an official in the close connection line, which we had tried to sneak into earlier came and got us as she remembered we had a fairly close connection. We were glad she came and let us finally go through the close connection line. Customs stamp was easy and quick, but we had to go through security again. In Atlanta we had no problems, but in Amsterdam the screener saw our small umbrellas and asked to re-check our bags. The nice TSA Agent took our bag off line and set it down on the floor. He then managed to speak with everyone who came through security and about every third person the screener wanted to check their bag, too. Needless to say there were several bags on the floor and we were getting tight on connections to Stuttgart. We finally convinced the TSA Guy that if the busiest airport in the world thought we were good so should he.

Made it to KLM gate B32 per all KLM people and asked the gate Agent if the flight was coming into that gate and was on time and she said “Oh Yea!” or something to that effect in broken English. Gail at this time with about 30 minutes before the plane was to take off and no plane at the gate wanted to freshen up. She had been gone about 5 minutes when I heard over the PA System “Vinson party please report to gate B36 you are delaying our flight to Stuttgart” No one ever mentioned a gate change.

After checking our bags at the hotel, we took to D Bahn (We purchased tickets for € 6.40 each way, but never turned them in, had them checked or even looked at. We still have them!) to Esslingen (see pix) it was great and I took a pix of my lunch, it was an orange egg on top of flat meat loaf. We had potato salad, and now I know why Paul hid his potatoes in the sofa as a child.

Stay tuned for more exciting adventures to see if the “Dude” goes 120 mph and if Gail doesn’t kill him for doing it or if Gail will try
Esslingen, GermanyEsslingen, GermanyEsslingen, Germany

Beautiful Nekar River.
the local cuisine or if Larry gets lost (a highly likely possibility)...

P.S. We have ever eaten so much on an airplane…we had a least three meals plus snacks on two flights.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Sidewalk Cafe.Sidewalk Cafe.
Sidewalk Cafe.

Where they serve orange eggs!
Larry has a beer or two!Larry has a beer or two!
Larry has a beer or two!

Cute little sidewalk cafe.
Larry's lunch.Larry's lunch.
Larry's lunch.

Flat meatloaf with an ornage egg on top.
The vineyards of Esslingen.The vineyards of Esslingen.
The vineyards of Esslingen.

These vineyards are on a very steep mountain.
Auto directions. Auto directions.
Auto directions.

Lord help us when Larry starts driving tomorrow.
Guy on a spear.Guy on a spear.
Guy on a spear.

Don't know about this, but the spear sticks through the building.


4th October 2009

WOw
WOW! Rock on Gail and Larry, rock on!
4th October 2009

glad you are safe, LOL
You look like you are having a good time. You don't look sleep deprived. Nana is coming over today and Danny and Dory I will show them your blog. This is sooooo neat. We love you. Jim and Alana
4th October 2009

How wonderful for you both. Enjoy and Larry TRY NOT To Get Lost! However, we know you will. Safe, wonderful trip. Carol
4th October 2009

Lunch
Hey, Larry, the meat loaf and egg looked great. Wish I was there to try some with you. Keep the blogs coming.
5th October 2009

Love your blog...keep it up.
Hey, I love the first installment of the blog. Please keep sending....it is so much fun to read about your adventures. I know you are having a blast....it makes us want to do it again. Have fun and be safe. We love you both. Jackie PS Tom says to reduce the pics to 600 pixels.
5th October 2009

wow
Other than dealing with EU airport, looks like you are off to a very good start.... realizing that you have enough 'LIQUID" fuel to get you around Germany. Love seeing the pics - keep us up on the menus - take a few pics of the food - the wine, the beer, the castles. And Gail you look fabulous.

Tot: 3.245s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0519s; 3; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb