Imperial Rome & Vatican City


Advertisement
Europe
July 1st 2009
Published: July 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cruisin’ in the Mediterranean Day 3.



We dock in Civitavecchia and bus into Rome about an hour away, but this gives us time for a little power nap. Our days are so busy that I think everyone falls asleep on the bus. My group eats supper in the dining room at 9pm every night and after being ready for the excursions by 7am, you can see how it gets to be long days. It’s hot again, our guide tries to stay in the shade as much as possible and they give us bottled water to keep us from getting dehydrated. It all starts today in the heart of Rome at Trevi fountain where we throw in a coin (as the saying goes) to insure our return to Rome.

We visited the Roman forum, the Arch of Titus, walked down the Via Sacra and of course explored some of the Coliseum. At one point I thought I heard cheering inside the walls of the Coliseum… can you imagine what it would have sounded like when tens of thousands of people cheered as they watched their Emperor or a great gladiator? The coliseum is stripped now, but it would have been covered in marble & mosaics and I am sure more statues.

More wine & Champagne at lunch… today for lunch I had fresh pasta followed by veal and then dessert & of course coffee (we usually get offered expresso) and heated milk for the cream. I feel like I’ve eaten my way across Europe which is fun, but I’m going to pay for it :P

The last part of our long day (11 hrs of touring and travel time) is crossing the border into Vatican City. Just a metal detector and guards, not much of a big deal to get across. It was the same when we entered Spain, no documents to fill, no questions asked, just a metal detector, no lines (in Spain anyway) and a stamp on the passport.

We strolled through the square and St Peter’s Basilica, the largest church in the world. Finally, a church where we are allowed to take pictures. The reason we are allowed is because the art is all marble or mosaic which is not damaged by the flash of a camera. The Pieta is enclosed in glass but we have a clear view. Lots of young priests &
All roads lead to RomeAll roads lead to RomeAll roads lead to Rome

This road was built by the Romans and goes from Paris to Rome
guards in Vatican City, kind of weird I’ve gotten use to old parishes at home.

Anyway, Happy Canada Day! The crew celebrates Canada tonight, I’ve told them they need some authentic Canadians at the party, but I don’t think they are allowed any passengers. Ciao from Rome as I watch the sunset from the top deck, deck 14.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

marble floormarble floor
marble floor

inside St Peter's


Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb