Box


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
June 6th 2012
Published: June 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Here we are in the lovely village of Box. We took the local bus into Bath yesterday. Everyone was excited about the Jubilee, it was a shame that it rained most of the day.

We went to the Roman Baths for a few hours, it was very interesting. The Romans started building them about two thousand years ago. It is quite amazing that a lot of the area is still intact. We didn't realise just how big it was and how many levels the whole area had, very clever those Romans!!!!

We went on a bit of a drive this morning around some of the area. We have a GPS in the car.....thank goodness..just plug in the info and it tells us where to go. We went to a small National Trust village called Lacock...some bits of the Harry Potter films were filmed at Lacock Abbey.

We decided to go on a walk this afternoon, just a nice little walk through the countryside!!!! I don't know where to start....off we went, sun was shining, walk should take around 3 hours. We picked up a mudmap from a tourist office. I think it was made 200 years ago!!!! We started in the village and walked up muddy tracks, through forests, across paddocks; all this through passing showers....I would say... driving rain! Then it was over fences, across an airstrip....the book said beware of planes landing (both directions).

Then we got lost, took a wrong turn and ended up in a little village. Luckily we met a nice man walking his dogs, we had to back track 25 mins. We ended up going through a forest on a narrow path. We saw a sign that said ...beware of adders!!!! Didn't see any, thank goodness. By the time we got home we were saturated, so much for our little country walk!

The photos are of our walk today.

We went to our favorite local pub again and had a great dinner, almost feel like a local!!!



We are heading north tomorrow, not sure where we will be tomorrow night, somewhere in the Midlands.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb