The start of the final chapter


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
September 5th 2011
Published: September 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our short stay in London is now over. We had a wonderful time catching up with our two daughters and son-in-law. After saying our farewells it was time to pack our bags and continue our adventure, this time in Scotland.
We thought getting a cab to the rental car depot would be quick and easy. Unfortunately the cab driver did not know the location and neither did his office. So we just had to call on an opposition company and, with a very pleasant Kiwi approach, ask directions. After a quick drive through two roundabouts, along a dual carriage road, and into an industrial estate we reached our destination.
Our lucky day, we had an up-grade. All we have to do is see how the car goes on the narrow highland roads of Scotland. Fortunately there was plenty of room for our luggage. Once we had returned a hired suit, purchased supplies from a very busy under-staffed Tescoes we were on our way.
Tonight’s destination is about 150 miles north of London near the town of Grantham. We are not sure what this town has to offer. Perhaps someone reading this blog can help out. But we chose this town because it was easy to get there after a busy start to the day and close to our next night’s stop.
The drive north was fairly straight forward until we neared our destination. Over the radio we had updates on driving conditions. While we were driving in sunny conditions London was receiving another rather large downpour of rain causing delays on many roads. During one of the updates we heard about a serious accident on the A1. It wasn’t long before we joined the tail-back and it wasn’t long before we were passing an up-turned ‘ute’ with a caravan in the ditch. At that point we realised we had passed the turn-off to the hotel about 10 miles back so after a rather involved U turn we were heading south.
Tomorrow we continue our trip north with our next stop near Durham.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb