Dolgellau to Barmouth to Harlech Castle


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Powys » Welshpool
April 15th 2011
Published: April 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We had a very busy day today. Carrie drove us out to the Coast to visit our first REAL castle, Harlech Castle. Our first stop was at a very interesting bridge called the Packhorse Bridge. This bridge is over the River Dovey and was built during the seventeenth century by Dr John Davies.
We continued on to a small Welsh Village called Dolgellau. Steve and I were fascinated by the narrow streets and narrow footpaths. We stopped here for morning tea and Carrie and I had a game of chess at the local cafe. The menu was written in Welsh and in English. The people in the village were very friendly and we enjoyed our time here.
After leaving Dolgellau we headed to Barmouth. Barmouth is beautiful. It was lovely to see the Atlantic Ocean and we were very lucky to have such fine weather. The drive along the Coast Road to Harlech provided some wonderful photo opportunities.
Steve and I were both very excited to see our first castle. It looked majestic perched on the cliff face overlooking a small village and the ocean beyond. We had a lovely time climbing up into the turrets and exploring the castle. The views from the top were fabulous.
We then had our picnic lunch albeit at about 3pm (I think).
After lunch we came home via Glanllwyd Forestry Trail.
Driving home we were delayed because a truck had tipped over on the narrow road ahead. The roads are very windy and narrow and have big hedges growing alongside which makes it impossible to see what is coming up ahead. Steve likened it to being on a roller- coaster which, I think, sums it up quite well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Holly BushHolly Bush
Holly Bush

at Harlech Castle
Harlech Castle (8)Harlech Castle (8)
Harlech Castle (8)

View from Harlech Castle
Glanllwyd forestry trail (2)Glanllwyd forestry trail (2)
Glanllwyd forestry trail (2)

Tree viewing platform
Glanllwyd forestry trail (8)Glanllwyd forestry trail (8)
Glanllwyd forestry trail (8)

Carrie after her home made brew!


16th April 2011

I have never been to that castle~!
It looks magnificent! and games with morning tea sounds like a good idea. Sounds like you are having a good time so far!

Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb