Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Newport
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Newport
Latest Blogs from Newport
- January 2nd 2013 On The Continent: A Blog About The People I've Met In The Places I've Been
by Words: 360 Photos: 0
- October 8th 2012 Plans, Plans, Plans!
by Words: 513 Photos: 0
- June 1st 2010 June 2010: An Adventure Through France
by Words: 667 Photos: 0
- April 9th 2010 Off we go, again
by Words: 100 Photos: 0
- July 14th 2008 MEANWHILE BACK AT THE RANCH . . . . .
by Words: 683 Photos: 2
- June 22nd 2008 Ponderings from a Poorly Girl
by Words: 168 Photos: 1
- June 18th 2008 DILEMMAS
by Words: 202 Photos: 0
- April 21st 2008 2 MONTHS TO GO!
by Words: 300 Photos: 3
- April 18th 2007 the last few weeks!
by Words: 1013 Photos: 0
- January 21st 2007 Bye Bye Boliva.... Hello UK...
by Words: 350 Photos: 11
- October 16th 2006 off
by Words: 14 Photos: 0
- September 26th 2006 The big approach
by Words: 552 Photos: 0
- September 23rd 2006 First Outing
by Words: 28 Photos: 4
- May 28th 2006 with the welsh ovra there
by Words: 484 Photos: 31
- January 4th 2006 Only a couple of weeks left to go!
by Words: 238 Photos: 11