Snowdonia & Tiggy Winkles


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Gwynedd » Snowdonia
April 24th 2010
Published: December 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Snowdonia & Tiggy Winkles 24th/25th April & 1st-3rd May, 2010



Rupesh loves organising surprises especially when they are a work of art on his part! He made the most amazing birthday cake I had ever seen - a hedgehog cake! And it was chocolate! That weekend we also paid a visit to Tiggy Winkles Wildlife Hospital near Oxford. We saw a couple of resident hedgehogs who had injuries or illnesses that meant they would not survive back in the wild. We also saw a baby fox and lots of bird life. Tiggy Winkles even has a museum dedicated to hedgehog paraphernalia.

The following weekend was a bank holiday long weekend. We drove up to Snowdonia National Park on Saturday afternoon. The weather was terrible and the thought of camping was no longer very appealing. We managed to find a room at a pub called 'Y Giler Arms.' It was in a lovely spot and it was warm.

Sunday turned out to be an amazing day so we packed some lunch and planned our route up Mt. Snowdon (1085m). We left the car parked opposite the Snowdon Ranger Youth Hostel and then caught the Welsh Highland Railway from here to Rhyd Ddu (not entirely sure of the pronunciation of all Welsh words!). We took the Rhyd Ddu path up to the summit of Mt. Snowdon. Incredibly scenic and it was the most perfect day for it. A hot chocolate and cup of tea at the top was well deserved! There is a cafe at the top which has only fairly recently opened and their is a small train which follows a line to the summit. In 2007 when Mum and I were here the train line was being replaced I think and was not completed - no cafe and no train (much to Mum's disappointment!). And no, we didn't get the train down - it wouldn't have taken us back to where our car was parked! There are several routes up Mt. Snowdon. We took a slightly different route down that ended up back a the Snowdon Ranger Youth Hostel. Close to the bottom we were thoroughly entertained by quad lambs who kept running away from their Mum. Their Mum would then make a lot of noise and start chasing after them. We found the campsite that we had originally been heading for on Saturday - Llyn Gwynant Campsite at the foot of Mt. Snowdon. A fantastic campsite by a stream in the valley and surrounded by mountains.

So...the rain came back just after we had got the fire going at the campsite! It was so heavy that we made a dash for the car. It fined up again the next day and we had a pleasant wander in the area surrounding the campsite. We drove back to London via Llangollen and saw the famous Pontcysyllte Aqueduct from a distance. A lovely couple of weekends.







Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb