Note: When Climbing the Tallest Mountain in Wales, Bring a Sweatshirt


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Gwynedd » Snowdon
June 12th 2007
Published: June 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Off from GraduationOff from GraduationOff from Graduation

This picture is quite literal.
It has been quite an eventful 48 hours. Arrived in Phoenix on the evening of the 9th. I literally went from graduation to the airport. Once in Phoenix, we promptly went to bed. I wanted to sleep on the floor, but Logan insisted I sleep in his bed. I obliged.

Woke up at 5 the next morning, and headed off to the airport. We had to catch a connecting flight in Philadelphia, and from there we had to take another gruelling 8 hour plane ride to Gatwick, London. The flight was terrible. I mean absolutely terrible. I would say 3/4 of the entire trip was turbulent (I don't think your heart would have taken this one dad). I tried to use the toilet in there, and it was honestly one of the hardest things I've had to do. Now I know what it must feel like to pee while experiencing an 8.0 earthquake. I had one foot on the side wall, my head bouncing against the front wall, and my other free arm was placed at a perfect 90 degree angle giving me balance from the other side. It was artwork.

Once in London, we then caught a
The BoysThe BoysThe Boys

This is the pre-flight picture.
5 hour train to Wales. Along the trip we met a nice Welshman who insisted he sit next to us, even though half the cart was empty (the Welsh are a friendly folk). He taught us how to pronounciate some of the towns' names, and he told us a bit of his grotty life living in Wales. We, of course, missed our stop because the train gave us a good 8 or 9 seconds to gather our belongings, get up, and get out, so we had to get off at the next stop and head back. On the way back we met another Welshman where Logan and I understood about every one in 17 sentences. He said something about his band going on tour, but then the next thing we understood was that he was upset because they stopped selling flamethrowers.. The Welsh are one of the hardest people to understand.

Once in Colwyn Bay, Lindsay (our family friend) picked us up, and took us back to our place. Logan and I then decided to take a tour of the town, and went for a pint at the local bar where were greeted by a local drunk (at 4
Our First PintOur First PintOur First Pint

One of many to come.
in the afternoon) who said "You lads gonna 'av a sitdown talk with me and me boys, ay?" We decided it best not to join him.

Next morning was the big climb. Mt. Snowdon - tallest mountain in Wales at a lovely 3,559 feet. When we were leaving, Logan and I were deciding whether or not to bring 'jumpers' (sweatshirts), and we thought it was such a lovely day in Colwyn Bay, that we wouldn't need them. So we arrived, and saw a nice black cloud rolling over Mt. Snowdon. It was freezing. People were walking around in snowgear, cellphones, big water jugs, food, and maps; and there we were with t-shirts, 2 cameras, and sneakers. So we went to the local cafe and bartered with them for some old sweatshirts, and got them at a deal of 2 pounds! Good stuff.

The climb took us about 2 and a half hours to get up. It was completely cloudy the entire way up, and we couldn't see 10 feet in front of us. It was joyous nonetheless. We had a few sidestops where I tried to catch a wild mountain sheep (with no luck). We took quite a
Pre-climbPre-climbPre-climb

We fit right into our new sweatshirts.
few breaks up, but we decided to hurry up when we saw little old women who must have been at least 87 quickly strolling past us. It was quite a climb but it was worth it, the view at the top is supposed to be spectacular, and they say you can see Ireland from the top, but we couldn't see a thing. Of course, half way back down, the sun came out. Lovely.

Just bought tickets for the ferry. Tomorrow we'll be in Ireland!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Bloody Freezing!Bloody Freezing!
Bloody Freezing!

The turtle neck came in handy.
The ClimbThe Climb
The Climb

Gives you an idea of what we had to climb up.
At the Top!At the Top!
At the Top!

Our hair is wet from the surrounding clouds.. mostly.
First Time the Clouds PartedFirst Time the Clouds Parted
First Time the Clouds Parted

Didn't even know there was a lake down there.
Beautiful ViewBeautiful View
Beautiful View

The background is pretty nice as well.
Post-climbPost-climb
Post-climb

We were quite ecstatic.


13th June 2007

sweatshirts
the sweatshirts are quite luvly and makes you lads look just like the local Welshmen...
14th June 2007

Good to have you here
Hey there boys just wanna say that it was wicked to have you here. I cant believe the nightmare that you had with the trip to Ireland (Dean Im sure you'll make it there one day - 3rd time lucky maybe). Sorry I wasn't around to say goodbye. Hope that you have a great time on the rest of your trip and I'll be keeping up to date on what you are up to x

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb