Leaving Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Cardiff
June 3rd 2009
Published: June 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This afternoon we return on a Megabus to London. £10 for the two of us, you can't complain.
We have had a lovely time staying with Miss G, N and S. Their home is spacious and they have about 100 TV channels so James has been pleased to chill out and channel surf. A pleasant change from our somewhat cramped conditions in the studio in London.
The weather has been truly stunning, but the Welsh seem even more surprised than we are, this is the first hot day in three years they exclaim as they wipe pink brows.
The smell of BBQ is hanging over Wales as I imagine coal fires once did.

We have taken bus tours, wandered the Bay, explored the castle and military museum, enjoyed the Cardiff museum,and art gallery, tried Welsh cakes, watched Peregrine nests and eaten remarkably cheap and cheerful pub lunches.

James has been applying his knowledge of art acquired at school last term and was able to identify Monet and Renoir from a distance. He loved the ant farm and the large basking shark hanging in the museum, which he also studied some time ago.

We located an OBCZ and I dropped a book acquired at the London meetup ( Soldier in the Wheatfield by Philip Hook of Antiques Raodshow - a darn good read I will look out for his earler thrillers) and picked up two. The Wig and Pen was a delightful pub , but the only pub in Cardiff with a decent sized beer garden, so was overrun with people soaking up the sun and eating. The kitchen was in disarray and it took two hours from order to lunch completion. The wine consumed during the wait meant a wee lie down was needed later.
Bt we did enjoy reading together the Peregrine book purchased at the observation post, what an amazing story of coming back from the brink of extinction.

James tells me that he has learnt more than he would of at school, and I am thoroughly enjoying myself too. I am getting a wee glimpse of the freedom and pleasure of home schooling. But James does miss his friends and playing with kids his own age.

Not long till we return to NZ, which sounds to be frighteningly cold and bleak. Decisions need to be made about the next few days, Brighton, Ramsgate or up to see Miss Markey? Can we fit it all in?





Advertisement



4th June 2009

I am so pleased you have had lovely weather in Wales! I am sitting right up close next to the heater here in Wellington.
5th June 2009

On ya mate!
Wow it sounds like you are having a brilliant time with the right mix of fun and relaxation! Looking forward to catching up when you get back :)

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb