Up and across to Applecross


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
May 2nd 2012
Published: May 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Grrr! Fearless!Grrr! Fearless!Grrr! Fearless!

The infamous beallach na ba road to Applecross was no match for The Van
Top fun on a weekend away with friends to Applecross on the West coast.

'Glamping' is the term apparently, as in glam camping. As in not in a tent, but in a shed. A very nice shed, with heating, four matresses and a power socket (handy for the George Foreman grill and toaster), but 'glam' may be overstating it a little. Anyway, it was warm and dry, so definitely more glam than a tent given the weather. We also had the van, which proved very handy as extended kitchen/diner/family room parked outside our shed.

It was a lovely drive across the Highlands on a beautiful still evening. But the clouds were gathering as we approached the foot of the infamous Beallach na Ba. Once the only way to reach Applecross (there is now an easier route to the North, but Daddy read that it was 'the coward's route', so that was out), the road rises from sea level to over 2,000ft through a series of hairpin bends and gradients of up to 20%. The van had no problem of course, ploughed it up, it's a beast of burden! Why anyone would choose to cycle up it, or even down it, is beyond me.

The weather on the other side was decidely wetter and we arrived at a damp, boggy campsite, covered with deep muddy holes. J's idea of heaven! He just grabbed his wellies and umbrella and was off!

Daddy got the beers out and stood about in the rain talking about flying with the guys, and Mummy unpacked while the girls got the dinner on, just like being at home! It was wee AJ's birthday so we had birthday cake for afters.

Daddy and I missed a fabulous sunset while putting the kids to bed, and although it had stopped raining it had got quite cool by the time we emerged, so a few drinks and chat, and then to bed.

The next morning was glorious, fabulous West Coast sunshine, blue skies, the odd shower blowing through, but nothing we couldn't handle, so after a full on breakfast we dressed the kids in full waterproofs, donned backpacks and slings and headed out for a walk around the bay. An easy stroll, with each child variously up on shoulders, in a carrier, walking, or lying on the ground peering into holes ('Tunnel!' - J). We had a late lunch in a walled garden cafe and strolled back for an early dinner at the local inn - Scotland's pub of the year, no less, and an accolade it certainly deserved. Daddy ordered the seafood platter, a gluttony of crustaceans, which everybody dug into, G particularly enjoying the langoustines (see photo).

A quick bit of fishing and stone-throwing on the beach (throwing stones is possibly the only thing J enjoys more than muddy puddles) and a climb back up the hill to the campsite. After all that food and fresh air, bedtime was a lot earlier and easier for everyone that night, although G & J were a waking tag team between 2am and 5am, eventually waking at 6am to start the day, so Mummy & Daddy were a bit groggy the next day.

Lovely weekend away, good company, great location, top food, what more do you need? And it makes us very excited about getting out and about with the van this year. Here's to more adventures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.318s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0777s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb