Bute


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
April 29th 2012
Published: April 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well here we are on Bute having completed our first island. The weather has been glorious with end to end sunshine, but with a strong NE wind. We stayed overnight at a Travel Lodge in Glasgow, which was not the most salubrious. We had to have towels delivered before we could shower and when we tried to shower we could not get any hot water to come through, although the tap was hot. I just love COLD showers. It was better next door at Harry Ramsden's for our evening meal, where they had to have security on the car park the area is that upper class. We took our bikes up the stairs into our bedroom for safety. We had breakfast at the Central Station and the took a very pleasant train to Wymiss Bay before the ferry to Bute.

We rode around the island in an clockwise direction and took in the fabulous scenery, which reminded me of the South Lakes and Sliverdale area with some wonderful beaches. When the wind was behind us it was magic, but somewhat different when we turned against it reducing us to about 7 mph. We stopped at a couple of cafes for sandwiches and then back to Rothesay at 6pm for a brew and a biscuit to put us on until our evening meal.

Our overnight stay was at the home of a kind chap, who is registered with 'Warm Showers'. Frank was a lecturer at Lancaster university and still lives there, with Bute being his second home. He kindly made us an excellent meal of pasta which is cyclists heaven, and the shower worked.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb