Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
August 28th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


GlasgowGlasgowGlasgow

the main square
The trip up to Glasgow was a long one to say the least; it involved us catching a train from Ipswich to London followed by a bus that took 10 hrs up to Glasgow. We arrived in Glasgow at around 10pm and jumped straight into a cab to get to Agnes’ house. Agnes is a distant relative of Alex and Lach though marriage, three of us had met her before on her last visit to Australia. We were given two small rooms to set up in and pretty much went straight to sleep.

The next morning we are up around lunch time to get ready to go in and see Glasgow. We caught the bus in which took us about 45 mins but once in the city it was same old same old again in trying to find an information place to get a map of the city. Once all that was taken care of we found an internet cafe to organise our day drips to Stirling and Edinburgh. After wandering round to find the bus and train depots to buy tickets we found ourselves in yet another Walkabout pub, it was a Friday after all do we had a traditional Aussie feed followed by a few bevies and a cab home.

Day two was a trip to Edinburgh we caught the train to Edinburgh which took about an hour, there was lots of people around as it was the second last day of the Edinburgh festival. One there we walked up the royal mile to Edinburgh castle, where we had a tour around the grounds, saw all the various parts of the castle, and also crossed paths with a wedding procession going on in the church on the hilltop! Once we finished up there, we walked back down and decided to endulge in some really bad touristy fun, so we entered a place known as the Edinburgh Dungeon. A whacky place with actors pretending to be people of importance throughout the history of the area, some really bad acting, and one of them had a prop accident when they accidently threw a metal chain at me, that was supposed to be attached to the ceiling mind you... After a great day in the capital, we returned back to Glasgow on the train.

We left Agnes’s early to reach the Bus terminus to get an early trip to Stirling, a small city that is just North of Glasgow, about 2 hours drive. When we arrived, fortune didn’t smile upon us and it started to rain, but being the tuff little nuts that we are, we trekked up the hill via a windy road, through an old graveyard to Stirling Castle, which sits overlooking the town, and also a beautiful view of the valley and the Wallace Monument in the Distance. Whilst up at the castle, we walked around, once again deciding on a tour of the various places of interest, and after that we also embarked on a free tour of Argyll’s House, a 17th Century town house that is still in a preserved state, with all the finery and wares inside it. Once we were histories out, we had a walk through the town for something for lunch, and then decided to return home.

Day4. This was the day we fare welled Lach as he left to travel to Leeds for his dirty weekend with his mistress. The days following were mainly Alex and I planning for our trip around Scotland, with Damien coming into town now and then.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.302s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb