Bonnie Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
April 8th 2008
Published: April 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This blog isn't about any recent trips that we've done, more about a trip that we're going to be doing - our wedding is fast approaching. So this is really a blog about things to do and places to stay in Glasgow and out in Argyll, where we're getting married - it hopefully will help those of you coming over for a visit.

The Glasgow area is a starting off point for many, especially since that's where the international airport is. The airport is about a 15 minute drive from Glasgow itself. It's actually situated beside the town of Paisley, where Charlotte's family live. Both Mike and Charlotte will be staying in Paisley during the week running up to the wedding. There are hotels in the Paisley area but Paisley itself is fairly quiet, so many of you will probably want to find accommodation up in Glasgow. There is a train that runs through Paisley and up to Glasgow Central Station and it takes about 10 minutes. There is no train into Glasgow from the airport. You would have to take a bus into Paisley first and then the train from there. The easiest way into Glasgow from the airport is by taxi, or there is buses that also go into the centre.

Glasgow is a great city. Vibrant and fun. Lots of bars and restaurants, good shopping and many sights to see. The name Glasgow likely derives from the Celtic word, Glas-cu - which translates as "the dear, green place". The River Clyde slices through the city and allowed the city to become a major industrial port.

There are two main train stations. Glasgow Central which I've just mentioned, is the busiest train station outside of London. It connects passengers to Scotland's West coast and destinations South of the Scottish border. The other station is Queen Street, which has trains over to Edinburgh. It takes around 50 minutes to get to the capital, which makes it a great day trip. There are also trains to Northern cities such as Aberdeen and Fort William.

Glasgow's three well known streets, are situated around the train stations. Argyle Street, Buchanan Street and Sauchiehall Street. Argyle Street runs diagonally below Sauchiehall Street and Buchanan street joins the two together. Glasgow Central station sits close to Argyle Street and Queen Street nearer to the top end of Buchanan Street. George Square is off to the right of Buchanan Street and here you can see some of Glasgow's great Victorian Architecture in the form of the City Chambers. Sauchiehall Street is lined with shops and there are two shopping centres - one called the Buchanan Galleries at the top end of Buchanan Street. The other is the St. Enoch Centre at the bottom of Buchanan Street on Argyle Street. Buchanan Street also has more upmarket shops.

Merchant City lies to the East of Buchanan Street and George Square. It is an area which has changed over the years and has been rejuvenated. Many buildings and warehouses of the tobacco lords have been turned into pubs, shops and various clubs and restaurants.

This area around the stations and George Square and spilling into Merchant City would make a good base for anyone planning to spend a few days in Glasgow and who wants to be close to everything. There are many hotels around and a good way to check on a hotel is by looking on tripadvisor (www.tripadvisor.com). Here are a few hotels to check out.

www.ramadajarvis.co.uk
www.brunswickhotel.co.uk
www.fraserhospitality.com
www.markshotels.com
www.parkinn.co.uk
www.menzies-hotels.co.uk
www.marriott.com
www.travelodge.co.uk

For those of you not wanting to be in the rush of city living, you can try the West End. Glasgow University is located out here and the area has grand Victorian houses, parks and gardens. Byres Road and Great Western Road are the main areas for shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants. The city centre is a simple five minute underground ride away - Glasgow's underground is affectionately known as 'the Clockwork Orange". Grand Victorian buildings tend to house the accommodation in this area. A few places to check out are as follows.

www.manorparkhotel.com
www.whitehouse-apartments.com
www.kelvingrovehotel.co.uk

There is a lot to see and do in Glasgow whilst you're there. As well as the amazing Victorian architecture, you can also see the work of Charles Rennie MacKintosh who was a famous architect and designer from Glasgow. One well known example is the Glasgow School of Art, which sits close to Sauchiehall Street. If you fancy a wee cup of tea during your travels around the city stop in the Willow Tearooms, also designed by MacKintosh. There are many other fine examples spread around the Glasgow area such as House For An Art Lover, Hill House in Helensburgh, Scotland Street School, The Lighthouse and others. You can even take a little bit of MacKintosh home with you in the form of cards, jewellery, prints, clocks and the list goes on.

Glasgow has a host of Galleries and Museums for visitors. Close to George Square is The Gallery of Modern Art which is the main focal point in Royal Exchange Square. The building itself is a beautiful mansion which was built in 1775 for a tobacco lord by the name of William Cunninghame. Before becoming home to the Gallery of Modern Art it had previous lives as the City's Royal Exchange and also a central library. It's free to go in for a wee look see.

The People's Palace is located in Glasgow Green. Also free to enter, it gives you an insight into the history of the city. St Mungo Museum of Religioius Life and Art - also free, is located in a medieval town house. It looks at religion in Glasgow. Across the square from the museum is the oldest house in the city, the Provand's Lordship - which dates from 1471. The Tenement House - GBP5, is a typical tenement house. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, most people in Glasgow lived in tenement houses. They were a useful way to house a growing population. Depending on wealth, families would share either two or three rooms.

In the West End you can find the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, which has been recently refurbished and worth a view. A huge sandstone building it has a wealth of exhibits to peruse and admission is free. Close to Kelvingrove is The Transport Museum - free, where there is a collection of trains, cars, bikes and trams. Glasgow University is close by and here you can find the Hunterian Museum - free, which is Scotland's oldest public museum. It dates back to 1807. It has displays on the Romans in Scotland and also Scotland's oldest dinosaur. The Hunterian Art Gallery is opposite the University. A side gallery here leads into the Mackintosh House, which was home to Margaret MacDonald and Charles Rennie Mackintosh. There is a small cost for this one. At the top end of Byres Road, close to the University is The Botanic Gardens. Kibble Palace is in the Gardens. Kibble Palace has recently been refurbished. It was originally a conservatory on John Kibble's estate on the banks of Loch Long. It was transported to Glasgow on a vast raft, along the River Clyde by a paddle steamer!

On the South side of Glasgow is Scotland Street School Museum of Education, which again is free. It opened as a school in 1906 and closed in 1979. It's now a museum which looks at life in the classroom, especially during the Victorian and Edwardian era's. Six miles South-West of the city centre is Pollok park and the Burrell Collection, again free. This is the collection of shipping magnate Sir William Burrell. There is over 9000 pieces in the collection.

Once you are all museumed and galleried out, you can look at a different spin on Glasgow architecture by heading to the banks of the River Clyde. The "Armadillo" or alternatively known as the Clyde Auditorium is a concert hall on the North side of the River. It looks a bit like the Sydney Opera House, but not quite as grand. Further along the North bank is the Tall Ship. It's one of the last ships that was built on the River Clyde that is still afloat. On the South bank is the Glasgow Science Centre, which has a look of a space shape dome. Beside the Science Centre is an Imax theatre, always good for rainy days - which can be fairly common. It is Scotland after all!!!

Another well recommended sight is Glasgow Cathedral. It was originally built in 1136 and then destroyed in 1192 and then rebuilt again - phew! It's dedicated to Glasgow's patron Saint and founder, St Mungo. Stories of St Mungo make up Glasgow's coat of arms. The Tree That Never Grew, the Bird That Never Flew, the Fish That Never Swam, the Bell That Never Rang. Behind the Cathedral is the Necropolis, which is a graveyard filled with crumbling tombstones and temples. It's great for a wander and has views of the surrounding area.

A good way to see all of Glasgow's sights is on one the tour buses. They are hop on, hop off - so you can go where you want and spend as much time at one attraction as you wish. Perfect.

By this stage you must be getting hungry and read for a wee pit stop. There is a variety of places in the City Centre, Merchant City and the West End for eating and drinking. Many restaurants offer pre-theatre menu's which often mean a set menu for a reasonable price. Bars and pubs are also found all over. You can find your pick between trendy and more down to earth. There is a large arts scene in the City. Well known music venues are the Barrowlands (also home to a weekend market), King Tut's Wah Wah Hut and the Arches. There is also many clubs, theatres and performing arts such as ballet.

www.visitscotland.com
www.scotguide.com (bus tours)
www.glasgowmuseums.com
www.thelighthouse.co.uk
www.glasgowmerchantcity.net
www.glasgownecropolis.org
www.willowtearooms.co.uk
www.charlesrenniemac.co.uk
www.glasgow-barrowland.com
www.gsa.ac.uk
www.houseforanartlover.co.uk
www.historic-scotland.gov.uk
www.gla.ac.uk
www.glenlee.co.uk
www.nts.org.uk
www.5pm.co.uk
www.cafegandolfi.com
www.tron.co.uk
www.stravaigin.com
www.gamba.co.uk
ww.rogano.co.uk
www.dakhin.com
www.thearches.co.uk
www.kingtuts.co.uk

Further West from Glasgow, by the airport is the town of Paisley. This is where Charlotte's family lives. It's a fairly quiet town these days. When Braehead Shopping and Leisure Centre was built, many shops and facilities in Paisley were affected. The town was founded in the 12th century when a priory was founded and a settlement grew up around. The priory became the world famous Paisley Abbey, which is worth a look if you're in the area. The patron saint of Paisley, Saint Mirin established a community on the site in the 7th century. This then became the priory and then the Abbey in the 12th century. Paisley Town Hall sits opposite the Abbey. Other notable buildings is the Museum and Library, Thomas Coats Memorial Church and the Observatory. Paisley is also well known for it's cloth, hence the Paisley pattern. At one point the textile industry was very strong here.

www.paisleyabbey.org.uk

There are many day trips that are possible from Glasgow. Hop on the train and within an hour you can be chugging into the city of Edinburgh. Waverley train station is right in the city centre and access from here to Princess Street and the Old Town is easy. The castle dominates the skyline as it sits atop a volcanic crag. Princess Street and the gardens are on one side, the Grassmarket is on the other. The Royal Mile winds it way down from the castle to the Palace of Holyroodhouse, this area is known as the Old Town and where many of the sights are. There are bus tours and walking tours if you so wish, or just meander your own way around - it is all walkable. There is a wide selection of accommodation in the city ranging from hotels to guesthouses/B+B's to hostels. Being such a popular tourist destination, it's advisable to book accommodation as far in advance as possible.

Other pleasant day trips from Glasgow would be to Stirling, with it's famous castle - the Battle of Bannockburn was fought close by. The Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park. On the Eastern side of the loch is Ben Lomond. It's classed as a Munro as it's a hill which is over 3000 feet high. Ben Lomond is 3192ft. The Trossachs are often described as the Highlands in minature. Peaks and lochs make it a scenice area. Towns such as Callender or Abyerfoyle are nice to stop for lunch or coffee. Four miles East of Aberfoyle is Scotland's only Lake - the Lake of Menteith. North East from Glasgow is Perth. Once Scotland's capital, it's still a fairly bustling town. Nearby is Scone Palace, where Scottish Kings were once crowned. Or head down the coast into Ayrshire and vist Culzean Castle, which is a large stately home with huge gardens and a great location on the edge of a cliff. Catch a train from Glasgow, straight through Paisley and to the town of Largs on the coast. Grab and ice-cream and walk along the sea or catch a ferry over to the Isle of Cumbrae where you can catch a bus into the small seaside town of Millport. This is where Charlotte used to holiday as a child. Hire a bike and cycle around the island which is only 4 miles long and 2 miles wide. Afterwards, stop in one of the old 50's style cafe's on the seafront and have ice-cream before catching the bus back to the ferry.

www.stirling.co.uk
www.scone-palace.co.uk
www.millport.org

So, time for our big event. The wedding - hurrah. The wedding is in the area of Argyll and Bute. The first peninsula you hit when leaving Glasgow is Cowal. Here, on the banks of Loch Fyne is the small village of Strachur and the Creggans Inn. Which we are taking over for the weekend. It's a very scenic location and only an hour and a half drive from Glasgow. There are actually two ways to reach Strachur. You can drive West from Glasgow and head to Gourock and take the ferry over to Dunoon and then take the road North and you'll pass through Strachur. The most scenic way though is to leave Glasgow and drive over the River Clyde on the Erskine Bridge. From here the road bypasses the town of Helensburgh and soon you'll be winding your way along the edge of Loch Lomond. Loch Lomond is the largest stretch of fresh water in Britain. A well known song describes it's bonnie, bonnie banks and there are many stopping areas on the way to halt and enjoy the beautiful views. When reaching Tarbet, take the road left towards Arrochar. Up and over the hill is Loch Long and the town of Arrochar hugs the coastline. The Arrochar Alps are well known for hill climbing, one reknowned peak is The Cobbler - 2891ft. From Arrochar the road heads up and up and up. This is a famous mountain pass called the Rest and Be Thankful . Heading down the other side is the delight of Loch Fyne. At the top of the Loch is the village of Cairndow and Ardkinglas Woodland Garden and estate. The road forks at the top of the Loch. Staying straight will take you to the town of Inveraray, take a left turn and you will reach Strachur and The Creggans Inn.

Inveraray is a great morning or afternoon trip from Strachur. It was built on the site of a ruined fishing village in 1745. The third duke of Argyll planned the village, he did so in order to keep his newly built castle away from the riff raff in town. The town also created a commercial and legal centre for the area. The white washed Georgian terraces make for a lovely setting against the waters of the Loch. There are only two main streets and they are lined with gift shops and galleries and also a few hotels. The George is a great place to stop for a spot of lunch and a wee glass of warming beer. Local attractions are Inveraray Jail - where we'll send any wedding guest who mis-behave on the day!!! The Arctic Penguin is a nautical museum that displays maritime history on the River Clyde. Inveraray Castle is a ten minute walk from the town. On the road to Inveraray from Strachur, you'll find the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar and Shop, which is famous for it's seafood. Six miles in the other direction is the Auchindrain museum. It is a collection of old farming crofts and it gives visitors the chance to see how people once lived and worked in the area.

Head South West from Strachur to the small town of Colintraive. The Kyles of Bute are slivers of water that seperate the Cowal area from the Isle of Bute. This is the narrowest point in the area and it's just a quick hop of a ferry ride over to Bute. A great wee island to explore for an hour or so. The main town of Rothesay was once a popular seaside resort on the Clyde. Glaswegians would escape by boat to seaside resorts such as Rothesay. These days, the town is quieter and more of a spot for a cup of coffee. Rothesay Castle is located in the centre of town. A short drive from Rothesay is Mount Stuart. A fantasy Gothic house which is set in amongst a woodland garden. Sir Paul McCartney's daughter Stella was married here in 2003. Pretty Kilchattan Bay makes for a nice, seaside stroll. Or head to St Blane's Chapel, a 12th century ruin, which is great to explore and has gorgeous views out to the Isle of Arran.

Another pretty ruin in the area is Kilchurn Castle which is on Loch Awe, a quick 15 minute car ride North of Inveraray. Head West from Kilchurn Castle and you'll reach the port town of Oban. The beautiful ruin of Castle Stalker, is North of Oban. Oban is a Victorian resort and the main port for gateway to the surrounding islands. The main street is lined with shops and restaurants and Oban Whisky distillery is right in the town centre.

Benmore Gardens are half way down the road between Strachur and the town of Dunoon. it's an off-shoot of Edinburgh's Royal Botanic Gardens. It occupies over 140 acres and has over 250 species of rhododendron and some of the tallest trees in Scotland. There is also a gift shop and a coffee shop/restaurant. On the way to Benmore Gardens you pass beautiful Loch Eck.

There's also many areas to go for walks in the Argyll Forest Park. The small village of Glenbranter, which is located just outside Strachur has various woodland walks. Puck's Glen also has a popular stroll up a rocky ravine. The walk begins from a car park a mile South of the gardens.

A very short distance from Creggans Inn is the ruins of old Castle Lachlan. There is also the more up to date Castle Lachlan further along on the estate. Invercottage is a great little coffee shop/restaurant which overlooks Castle Lachlan and Loch Fyne. On the road heading back to Strachur, just a few mintues from Castle Lachlan is the ruins of an old church and graveyard. It makes for some pretty pictures.

www.colglen.org.uk/cowalway
www.inveraray-castle.com
www.inverarayjail.co.uk
www.thegeorgehotel.co.uk
www.auchindrain-museum.org.uk
www.isle-of-bute.com
www.mountstuart.com
www.oban.org.uk
www.calmac.co.uk
www.loch-fyne.com
www.castlelachlan.com
www.invercottage.co.uk
http://www.cowal-dunoon.com/benmore.htm
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/recreation.nsf/$$SearchPlacesToGo?Openform&n=&nt=strachur&cr=GB&ct=All%20Counties&op=w&g=uaem&sr=
http://www.aboutargyll.co.uk/pages/cowalway.htm#Anchor-Wednesday-35882

This is a great starting point for those of you who are planning on touring for a few days after the wedding. From Inveraray you can carry on to Lochgilphead and head up to Oban through the Kilmartin Glen. Kilmartin Glen is an important prehistoric site on the Scottish mainland. A linear cemetery and standing stones give an understanding on times from around 3000BC and the bronze age. From Kilmartin, drive North to Oban and take the ferry over to the Isle of Mull, which is the second largest of the Inner Hebridean islands. The attractive fishing port of Tobermory in the North, is probably the best area to stay. Less than half a mile of Southern Mull is the small island of Iona. Definitely worth a visit. Take the passenger ferry over and explore Iona Abbey. Iona has been a place of pilgrimage for centuries. St Columba fled from Ireland to Iona in 563. He established a momastery. Rent a bike and cycle along the island's few roads to remote beaches. Other islands that you could visit are Islay, Gigha, Jura and also Arran, further South.

www.kilmartin.org
www.holidaymull.org
www.tobermory.co.uk
www.isle-of-iona.com

You can also make your way North past Oban and straight up the coastline. Pass through the well known town of Fort William, gateway to the Great Glen and the Highlands. A beautiful drive to Fort William can take you through Glen Coe and Rannoch Moor. Ben Nevis, Britain's highest peak, is just outside of Fort William. West is the Ardnamurchan peninsuala and the "Road to the Isles". The Ardnamurchan Peninsula is the most Westerly point on the British mainland. Follow the West Highland Railway to the fishing town of Mallaig. On the way, pass the Glenfinnan viaduct where scenes from Harry Potter were filmed. Take the ferry over to the Isle of Skye, or drive North from Fort William to reach the newish bridge that takes you over to Skye. Skye has the impressive Cuillin hills, kilt rock, Dunvegan Castle, Talisker Distillery and the pretty port town of Portree. Before taking the bridge over to Skye stop at Eilean Donan castle, one of the most photographed in Scotland after Edinburgh castle. The small village of Plockton is also close to the bridge. A pretty village made famous by the t.v. series Hamish Macbeth. Continue up the coastline to Inverewe Gardens by Poolewe. The gulf stream from Mexico hits this part of the Scottish coastline and palm trees mix with native trees. Pass beautiful Gruinard Bay on the way to Ullapool. Stop at the Falls of Measach on the way for a look at the spectacular 164ft falls on the Corrieshalloch Gorge. John O'Groats and Thurso sit on the very Northern coast, looking out into the distance to the Orkney and Shetland Islands.

Head South from the Northern Coast into the Great Glen where you will find Inverness and famous Loch Ness. East of Inverness is Culloden made famous from the horrific battle. West of Inverness is the area of Speyside, famous for whisky tours and Baxter's factory, if you need to stock up on jams and pickles. The Speyside Way walking route takes in the whisky distilleries of Glenfiddich, Glenlivet and Glen Grant. Aviemore in the Cairngorm Mountains is a major ski resort in winter. Grantown-On-Spey is a pretty town in Speyside and where Charlotte's Great Gran grew up.

In North East Scotland is the city of Aberdeen or the Granite City as it's often called. Also in the region of Deeside is Balmoral Castle and the city of Dundee. Balmoral Castle has been a Royal residence since 1852.

Between Deeside and Lothian is Fife. Famous for St Andrews, Scotland's oldest university and home to golf club which is so world reknowned. The Forth Road Bridge takes you from Edinburgh over to Fife and the drive along the coast to St Andrews passes through some very pretty seaside villages such as Crail. Dumfries and Galloway and the Scottish Borders are South of Glasgow and Edinburgh.

We've just done a horseshoe shape around Scotland. The inner regions are Perthshire and Stirling, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs which I mentioned earlier in the blog as day trips from Glasgow.

www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk
www.ullapool.co.uk
www.grantownonspey.com
www.aberdeen-grampian.com
www.balmoralcastle.com
www.baxters.com

There really is so much to see and do in Scotland that this blog really just touches on some of what is possible. A beautiful country filled with history and scenery that is beyond compare.
We truely hope that those of you coming from afar for the wedding will enjoy the beauty and culture as much as we both do.

We look forward to seeing you next month.

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/CharlotteBell&MichaelHennigar

Lots of love,

Mike and Charlotte.


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 39


Advertisement



Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 21; qc: 146; dbt: 0.1527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb