Dai's slow LeJog


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Sutherland » Lairg
July 15th 2010
Published: July 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 35 Lairg - Tongue 38 miles 1166 miles



A very comfortable nights accommodation was a consolation as the wet weather didn't improve - it just got worse!
I struggled out into the near gale force north westerly wind and was wet through before I'd left the village. Views were non existent so there was nothing for it but to put my head down into the wind and rain. I set off north along the single track A838 across the open moorland of the Flow country
Thirteen miles and nearly two hours later I reached the first habitation after leaving Lairg-the Crask Inn. Morale being soggy and low the obvious thing was to take shelter. As I went in to the bar I met the landlord and his wife dressed up and about to depart to a funeral in Tongue , thirty miles up the road. Ne'er mind said mine host , come in and warm yourself by the fire and this man will look after you. The roaring peat fire was wonderful; this man was a guest who was walking Scillies to Shetlands and he had holed up for the day. We had been told to help ourselves to soup and rolls and there was a coffee machine. Over the next couple of hours two cycling couples arrived and joined us and we enjoyed the fire and the soup. By one o clock the wind had eased and the rain declined to a light drizzle so leaving generous payent for our food and drink we all got on the road.
A fairly easy descent led to the village of Altnaharra. the few houses were swiftly passed before the road started climbing as it headed north. A few miles later the next summit was reached before a descent to Loch Lyon. Views were fairly poor due to the weather but I did see geese and divers on the loch and a mountain hare . Unfortunately the cloud was far to low to see the mountains.
A final climb and descent into Tongue to my accomodation for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

the Crask Innthe Crask Inn
the Crask Inn

first building in 13 miles!
Tongue - Castle VarichTongue - Castle Varich
Tongue - Castle Varich

the view from my B&B


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb