Day Seven - Making Sure We Got Our Money's Worth Out of This Rental Car


Advertisement
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Stirlingshire » Stirling
December 30th 2009
Published: May 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We had arranged with Laura for breakfast at 8:00. Grandma, Gail and I were there two minutes early. The kids took their sweet time. No problem though because Laura was ready for us and quite happy to put together almost anything we wanted for breakfast. She had printed menus which allowed Tyler and I to order almost everything on the list. Once again we opted for the full Scottish breakfast w... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Perhaps a Better View of How This Thing OperatesPerhaps a Better View of How This Thing Operates
Perhaps a Better View of How This Thing Operates

Here you can see where the boat drives under the higher canal system and onto the water-filled giant basket. Like a ferris wheel that part will spin and rise while the basket at the top swings down in the opposite direction.
Sunset in LussSunset in Luss
Sunset in Luss

To end our fun-filled day, we drove what was supposed to be a short distance up to Loch Lomond. It was getting dark when we finally arrived at the very tiny town of Luss, on the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond.
The Local InhabitantsThe Local Inhabitants
The Local Inhabitants

As I mentioned before, it is claimed that there are more sheep than people in Scotland. Here in this pasture in Luss, we saw more sheep in that field than we saw people driving around all day around Stirling and Falkirk.
Feeling Pier PressureFeeling Pier Pressure
Feeling Pier Pressure

There wasn't a whole lot to look at in the near darkness in Luss other than the loch. At the end of the one road through town was a little pier going out over the icy water.
Brrrrr.  I Can Still Feel How Cold It WasBrrrrr.  I Can Still Feel How Cold It Was
Brrrrr. I Can Still Feel How Cold It Was

Walking out onto the pier not only did we feel the cold from the water below us but a very strong wind came blowing across the lake into our faces. I held onto my camera tightly as I walked out there.
Looking Back at Lovely LussLooking Back at Lovely Luss
Looking Back at Lovely Luss

That's pretty much the whole town in the picture. In the summer this little place is teeming with tourists. At 4:30 pm on December 30th, we had the place to ourselves.
Luss HomesLuss Homes
Luss Homes

We passed a number of identical little houses on our way back to our parked car. They looked like they were all built at the same time by the same builder.
A Most Memorable DinnerA Most Memorable Dinner
A Most Memorable Dinner

Returning to Stirling we decided not to mess around looking for a restaurant. We decided to go to the pub recommended by the local tourism bureau and one we had passed numerous times the night before. The prices on the menu look fabulous until you realize they're in pounds sterling, which means double the price to get the dollar amount.
Quiet and Deserted for NowQuiet and Deserted for Now
Quiet and Deserted for Now

We sat down in an almost totally empty corner of Whistlebinkies. Folk Music Night was scheduled to start at 9:00 and we were getting ready to eat more than an hour before the anticipated show.
Soon to Become a Lund FavoriteSoon to Become a Lund Favorite
Soon to Become a Lund Favorite

I drank John Smith's when I was in Ireland and liked it better than the more bitter Irish stouts like Guinness and Murphy's. This stuff had a nice thick creamy head on it. Too bad it's mass produced by Heineken.
Tuning-up in Whistlebinkie'sTuning-up in Whistlebinkie's
Tuning-up in Whistlebinkie's

Just as we were finishing our meal a trio of people with instrument cases made themselves comfortable at the next table. I figured these were the entertainers grabbing a quick brew before starting their 9:00 show.
Wrong Again DougieWrong Again Dougie
Wrong Again Dougie

Instead of relaxing with a round of cold brews, the threesome pulled-out their instruments, tuned-up and then played a game of "see if you can keep up with me".
Fast Forward Ten Minutes...Fast Forward Ten Minutes...
Fast Forward Ten Minutes...

No sooner did the first group of musicians warm-up, then others started arriving. Accordians, flutes, fiddles, guitars and Celtic drums accompanied by musicians soon filled the room. Gail, her mother and I were loving it as we sat tucked into our corner of the room. The kids?
Music CriticMusic Critic
Music Critic

Cassie and Tyler were not digging the hootenany by any means. I would've stayed all night, especially if we had had access to more beer.
One More Fiddle SoloOne More Fiddle Solo
One More Fiddle Solo

Just about everyone of the close to twenty musicians in the room took a turn starting off with an obscure old song, then the others joined in when they figured out the song's progression. The bald guy sang an old diddy that may have been obscene but it was done with such a strong brogue that I could only understand every tenth word. The violinist was an American from Alaska.
Another Yank on ViolinAnother Yank on Violin
Another Yank on Violin

This girl was one of the earliest arrivals and kept back in the shadows most of the night. When it came around to her turn to start a song, she belted out a dirty hillbilly song about a rooster. We found out she was from Kansas.
Now for a Little Mouth OrganNow for a Little Mouth Organ
Now for a Little Mouth Organ

Another rather quiet musician suddenly whipped a harmonica out of his vest pocket and did a very long song that convinced me it was about time to leave.
It's Really Getting Crowded in Here NowIt's Really Getting Crowded in Here Now
It's Really Getting Crowded in Here Now

When this dude that looked like a linebacker sat down at our table and became the 8th violin in the room I started to feel a little claustrophobic. What had once been a somewhat chilly room was now stifling hot with probably thirty bodies crammed into the small space.
Sign of the TimesSign of the Times
Sign of the Times

Imagine them trying to enforce this policy in an American bar? In Europe the fans get a little too carried away in their pubs so I suppose a rule against wearing your favorite soccer team's jerseys is necessary. Meanwhile Cassie and Tyler moved to the opposite side of the restaurant as a subtle hint that they wanted to leave.
The Lonely LotusThe Lonely Lotus
The Lonely Lotus

Once we got out of Binkies we headed staright back to our B&B. Finally I was learning my way around. Just outside Stirling Castle the same Lotus that we had seen earlier in the day still sat outside an office building. I can't imagine owning such a cool car then leaving it out on the icy, slushy, sandy, gritty street all day.



Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 91; dbt: 0.138s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb