Greenoch (Glasgow) and sailing over the top of Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Renfrewshire » Greenock
October 5th 2008
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Sunday 5th October

We had a leisurely breakfast and our daily dance lesson before we arrived at Greenoch (Glasgow) around noon.

It was a beautiful sail into Greenoch, up Firth of Clyde. We were accompanied by a flotilla of ferries, small craft, jet skis plus a navy war ship.

There was large turnout on the dockside to welcome us, possibly because the QE2 had been built in the area. Throughout the day there was a gold coin donation to view the ship and apparently 20,000 pounds was raised for charity.

The weather was fine and we were pleased we had organised another small mini bus with a driver to take us sightseeing. Ian from Doodlebus was there to meet us in his kilt, it was a nice touch and he looked the part. Ian drove off in to the countryside and the first stop was at his local village for a pint and a view of the Loch Lommond.

We followed with a tour of nearby whisky distillery Glengoyne. We were lucky Ian managed to whisk us in front of the Cunard tour bus group as he knew the guides on duty.

We headed up to see Stirling Castle, instead of taking the long tour through the Castle we walked around the ancient cemetery and enjoyed the view from the hilltop as Ian told us the history of area.

On the way back to the ship we called in at the site where the battle of Bannockburn was fought near Stirling Castle, occurring in 1314, this Battle was the decisive battle of the First War of Scottish Independence.

We drove through some beautiful countryside, rolling green hills and lovely farms and cottages and when we looked for pictures to add to this blog we realised we had been sitting back enjoying the tour and had forgotten to take many photos, oh well the memories remain.

Monday 6th October

Ron was very happy as this was our first full day at sea on this trip he suggested it was to be a rest day, our program for the day included:
- breakfast
- trivia
- dance lesson (swing today)
- lunch
- afternoon tea dance
- more trivia
- the Captain's cocktail party,
- the normal 5 course dinner,
- Grand lounge show (Annette Wardell singing tonight)
- ballroom dancing in the Queen's Room
- finishing with dancing to the Caribbean band in the Yacht Club

I wondered where the rest was supposed to fit in?








Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb