Letter from Mainland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Orkney Islands » Stromness
June 4th 2013
Published: June 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

In the Orkney Islands off of the northern Scottish Coast they use "Mainland" to designate the principal island of the archipelago. We have just finished a wonderful six-day R&R in Stromness, Mainland, Orkney. This was meant to be a rest, for sure, from our End-to-End push, but it also provided good times, adventure, fellowship, and wonder. We even did a little bit of cycling.

This use of "mainland" is only one of many differences that the Orcadian way of speaking has from ours. The language is influenced by the many years that the islands were ruled by the Norwegians. For one thousand years Orcadians spoke Norn, a variant of Old Norse. Today they speak their own brand of Scottish English, with a large number of words derived from those old Viking days. They use "peedie," for example, where other Scots would use "wee" and we would say "little." Many oher words are different, and overheard conversations between locals often seem to be in a foreign language.

Like islanders everywhere, they just like doing things their own way anyway. If they were in the US they could say "We don't care how they do it on the mainland." But here they just call their own island "Mainland" and speak and do what they want. History is always evident here, with artifacts and ruins from stone age and bronze age people, Picts form the iron age, Vikings and Norse, Scottish earls, English sailing ships of the eighteenth century, whalers from the nineteenth century, the scuttled WWI German fleet on the bottom of the Scapa Flow (the protected waters inside the islands), and the causeway connecting several islands that's known as the "Churchill Barrier" because he had it constructed to keep German U-boats away from the Royal Navy ships in WWII.

We have all been enjoying reading the poems, novels, short stories, and essays of local author George MacKay Brown while surrounded by the places and people he described so well. Reading his novel, Magnus, about the martyrdom of the Earl of Orkney nearly 1000 years ago compelled me to ride my bike early one morning 12 miles to the Brough of Birsay from where the bishop and the earl ruled the peasants in those days. Later that day all of us went to the islands' current capital city of Kirkwall and saw St Magnus's cathedral, a unique and beautiful structure started in 1137 to honor the martyred Magnus.

Another fun activity was to see a concert in the local church at Stromness given by a community choir from one of the islands off of the coast of Norway. The singers were incredibly enthusiastic, and actually quite good. It was very interesting to see this connection between Norway and these islands maintained in this way, given the long history of the relationship between the countries. Besides the standard classical and religious selections, the choir did a great job on three spirituals form the US, including "When the Saints Go Marching In," which I found to be an interesting juxtaposition with all of the St Magnus history we had been learning about. The choirmaster ended the session by performing two songs on an instrument he invented, which consisted of a French horn mouthpiece attached to a long hose with what can only be described as the end of a toilet plunger on the other end. This was really funny and a lot of fun. After the concert, the church had refreshments and food, including, to our surprise, beer and wine. It was a lot of fun to meet some of the local people and the Norweigians in this way. All in all a very fun evening.

These islands are also incredibly interesting geologicaly and biologically. The layered sandstone that underlies the islands and is responsible for the incredible productivity of the soil for agriculture (and thus the millennia of human habitation) shows itself in stunning seacliffs all over. Some of these are the highest seacliffs in the UK, and the tallest seastack in Europe is here as well. On the north end of Westray Island the cliffs are home to thousands of nesting seabirds, one of the most important of such places in this part of the world. We took a bus to a ferry, a ferry ride between islands, and a bus ride on a remote island, to be able to hike to this place and had one of the most incredible days of the entire trip. (And yes, Jim, this also happened to be the northernmost point of the entire trip at 59 degrees, 20 minutes latitude.)

The photos tell some more about our great week in Orkney. Now we are on the way to the Outer Hebrides and more adventures (and sveral more days back on
Brough of Birsay, MainlandBrough of Birsay, MainlandBrough of Birsay, Mainland

The religious and political leadership of the Orkneys operated from here until the mid 12th Century
the bicycles).

-- Kit




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Intertidal path to Brough of BirsayIntertidal path to Brough of Birsay
Intertidal path to Brough of Birsay

The only way to get there is to walk on this path when the tide is low enough
Cathedral of St Magnus in KirkwallCathedral of St Magnus in Kirkwall
Cathedral of St Magnus in Kirkwall

Building of this was started in 1137. It's the UK's most northerly cathedral, constructed of local sandstone in several colors.
Arch of pitchforks in wedding at St Magnus CathedralArch of pitchforks in wedding at St Magnus Cathedral
Arch of pitchforks in wedding at St Magnus Cathedral

I asked someone why they were using pitchforks and was told that it was because the bride and groom were farmers.
Male part of "blackening" ceremony, KirkwallMale part of "blackening" ceremony, Kirkwall
Male part of "blackening" ceremony, Kirkwall

This is a complex and weird tradition that apparently has been going on in the Orkneys for centuries. This one was happening concurrently with the wedding in the cathedral, but apparently unrelated to it, i.e. part of a different wedding.
A bottle of 50-year-old Highland Park whiskyA bottle of 50-year-old Highland Park whisky
A bottle of 50-year-old Highland Park whisky

I have a birthday coming up shortly.
Broch of GurnessBroch of Gurness
Broch of Gurness

This was both a Stone Age and Iron Age (Pictish) village, and the Vikings used it as a burial site
Malting floor at Highland Park distilleryMalting floor at Highland Park distillery
Malting floor at Highland Park distillery

Highland Park is the most northerly whisky distillery in Scotland


6th June 2013

Orkney
Hi! Thank you for these posts. Jeff and I have fond memories of our adventure in the Orkneys - and your blog is jogging our own stories. I am having fun following you all remotely!
6th June 2013

Thanks
Thank you, Kit, for telling us something about the Orkneys, where I have longed to go and never will. And thank you, all, for sharing your adventure.
7th June 2013

Happy Birthdays to you guys
June 7th - It's a good day to celebrate the birthdays of Kit and Jim. Once the clock chimes 5:00, or whatever, I'm sure you'll be lifting your glasses in celebration. We'll be toasting to your good health as well. Party on!

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 23; qc: 98; dbt: 0.1062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb