Orkney Islands


Advertisement
Published: July 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Highland parkHighland parkHighland park

The gate of the Highland park distillery
We arrived at kirkwall 29th of june at 7:30 after a nights sail.
On our first day in Kirkwall we visited the highland park distillery, were we got a great tour and a taste of the whiskey. It was fun to learn about the prosess and since Higland park actually is one of few who malts the barley themselves, at least 20% that is, we got a insight into that.
The wether was warm and great, we had a walk around in the town, and bought an ice cream, that melted almost instantly in the non scottish wether. I found it a cute little town.

Our second day in kirkwall we packed out our bikes, and bicycled to the other distillery namely Scapa. We had been looking forward to this since Jorgen was a "scapa crew" member and would get a free dram, and maybe allowed to do some work at the distillery. But when we arrived after a longish bike trip we were met by a big sign saying "no visitors!", Good thing Jørgen was part of the "crew" and not a visitor, we continued on, but the place was dead, and the doors locked. With no one to even complain to, we turned around and went on our way back to town. Later we read that there hasn't been much activity at Scapa lately, and that they haven´t done any botteling the last few years.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb