Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
June 27th 2011
Published: July 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Royal MileThe Royal MileThe Royal Mile

The main drag of Old Town Edinburgh that leads up to the Castle.
We arrived to Edinburgh on the Saturday to some worrying news: our booked accommodation had been cancelled and it seemed Edinburgh was the city to be in this weekend: the Highland Games were on, Prince Charles was in town to open the Royal Armed Services Day, the Edinburgh International Film Festival was kicking off that night with Kings of Leon making a special opening appearance and then also playing a sold out concert on the Sunday night. Perhaps we should have done our research...

Our quest of finding a room was looking grim as everywhere was already booked up, but we eventually found one – only 4* star would do! :S

So after a hit to the wallet, we hit the Royal Mile, the main street through the Old Town, connecting Edinburgh Castle at the top with Holyrood Palace at the bottom. The Mile takes you through a street scape that looks like it hasn't changed in hundreds of years; old townhouses, cobblestones and alleyways surround you - as do the tourist shops selling tartan, kilts and shortbread galore.

In medieval times, the city was known as 'Auld Reekie' because of it's hygiene issues with the poor living
Atmospheric CityAtmospheric CityAtmospheric City

Edinburgh's many side streets and alleys draw you off the main street
underneath in the many vaults and cellars below ground. Our first touristy activity for the three days was a tour of these vaults.
Geared as more of a ghost tour through the dark passages and caverns, we got a great introduction to the the horrible histories of the areas. Unfortunately it was more geared towards scaring than informing but the stories of witches and grisly crimes seemed to work well on some.

Above ground it was Edinburgh Castle that got our attention next. The castle sits above the city at the top of the Royal Mile and is dug into the rock of an extinct volcano. The Scottish crown jewels are kept here including the Stone of Destiny, an ancient stone used in the ancient ceremonies to crown the Scottish Kings of old. The castle also houses Edinburgh's oldest building, a chapel thought to be built by King David I in honour of his mother, it dates to around 1130AD.

Back down the Royal Mile, our National Trust membership finally paid off and we gained free admission to Gladstone's Land, a narrow six-storey house built in the mid-16th century by a wealthy merchant. The highlight of the house
TastyTastyTasty

Trying Haggis for the first time - and liking it!
is the painted chamber which features an intricately painted exposed timber ceiling.

Further down we wandered into St Giles Cathedral with it's beautiful collection of giant stain glass windows. We were trying our hardest to decipher some of the stories in one of the windows, when a guide of the church came over to offer some help. She ended up giving us a full tour of the church and her knowledge was truly impressive. It gave us a whole new insight into the history, development and use of the church through it's lifetime.

As Prince Charles was in town Holyrood Palace and Abbey were closed to the public (boo!) so we had to ditch our royal plans and head somewhere else. Brett chose UP and the next thing we know we're climbing 'Arthurs Seat' - the highest point in the city at 251 m, it sits in the middle of a great natural parkland at the base of the city. The air was fresh and the view good at the top so the climb was a good break from pounding the pavements in the city.

An essential event not to be missed in all this sightseeing was
She blinked!She blinked!She blinked!

An exhibition we visited - The Queen Art and Image: a collection of photographs and portraits of Queen Elizabeth from 1950 - 2011
the 'Tasting of Haggis' (said in booming Scottish voice). Brett had previously tried it so this time round in was Jo's turn. Served with mashed potato and parsnip the dish, known on all menus as 'haggis, neets and tatties' it was surprisingly tasty; like a dry, salty mince similar to a meat pie filling without gravy. Nothing like the dark, blood and entrail soaked mess Jo was imagining - possibly confused with black pudding?

What better way to wrap up our Scottish capital city tour than with an exhibition of the English Queen - she's their Queen too you know! The Queen: Art and Image was a collection of photographs and paintings of Elizabeth from the 1950's to 2011. There were some great photographs of the young queen and some interesting painted portrait interpretations that just made you think that Her Majesty 'would not be amused'!

Three days in this wonderful city - and a very posh B&B - done, it was the end of our Scottish adventure and time to head back down south on our way 'home' to London.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Gladstone LandGladstone Land
Gladstone Land

The 17th century Merchant's home
The Red DoorThe Red Door
The Red Door

Views of Edinburgh streets
St Margaret's ChapelSt Margaret's Chapel
St Margaret's Chapel

Built by King David I as a tribute to his mother in 1130, it is reported to be the oldest building in Edinburgh
Royal Lion Royal Lion
Royal Lion

at Edinburgh Castle
'Let's go up there''Let's go up there'
'Let's go up there'

Jo is starting to dread this pose...
Arthur's SeatArthur's Seat
Arthur's Seat

Enjoying the view
A lonely friendA lonely friend
A lonely friend

This little fellow was spied as we walked up Calton Hill
ThislteThislte
Thislte

The famous Scottish flower in bloom


5th July 2011

Lazy (Jo) Lingard
Is Mrs Lingard shirking her blogging responsibilties? It seems to have been left up to you Brett;) Tell her (from me) to stop stuffing her face with doughnuts and haggis and chip in with the blog now and then. The next blog topic should be 'mylazywife.com'. Over and out - Bridesmaido.
10th July 2011

TALK TO YOU MUM! GIVE ME BLOG LINK KNOW! GRRR
Hi spoot it boy! looks like having fun :)
12th July 2011

lazywife.com
Oi you! Like it should be in any good marriage, the blogs are a creative partnership - I help!! Well actually, I start and then Brett comes in and makes it more... ''informative'' Brett's P.S. - thanks for noticing! ;-)

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb