Edinburgh Tattoo


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
August 10th 2008
Published: September 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wayne had booked us a weekend away to Edinburgh via a fine dining train to see the Edinburgh Tattoo.

We woke early on Saturday morning and got a train into London. We arrived with plenty of time so grabbed a drink before boarding the train to Edinburgh. We had a table for two. Breakfast was served as we departed and was delicious. We chatted and enjoyed the views and after a little nap lunch arrived. Again seriously yummy. We arrived in Edinburgh and walked down the road to our hotel - the Hilton Caledonian!! It was fantastic, very posh!! We checked in and decided as the hotel had a pool we should go get some swim wear as we hadn’t packed any. A quick stop at Debenham’s and we were sorted.

We wondered the streets for a while taking in the scenery, had a few drinks and then looked for dinner. Everything was so busy we decided to go back to the hotel and ate there. We then walked back up the hill to the castle for the tattoo.

I decided it wasn’t to wet to warrant a rain coat, and headed up to our seats. To say it lacked space would be an understatement. Everyone was so squashed we could hardly move. The show was fantastic, lots of bands, pipes and marching! Unfortunately the heavens opened and it rained - it poured and I got soaked!! As we headed out after the show we both ached from the uncomfortable seats and I was frozen due to the rain. We arrived back at the hotel and I warmed up. The show was worth the pain and the rain!

We had a lie in before heading down to the pool with our new swim gear. After a swim we changed and went for breakfast. We were about ½ hour before it closed, and the food had all gone! No eggs, no beans… rubbish! The staff were also a bit slow, although the apologized before we left.

We then packed up our wet clothes and walked to the station through the park.

The train home had another fantastic meal, which ended in scrummy chocolates, followed by afternoon tea.

When we arrived back home we were exhausted, overfed and really relaxed from a fantastic weekend away. I felt like a princess! Brilliant 



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 95; dbt: 0.119s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb