Day 13: Scotland- 7th day of tour


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
August 17th 2008
Published: August 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 13: Scotland- 7th day of tour- First full day of the Fringe Festival

Another nice thing about being in the dorms was that we had access to a lounge area where we could all come togehter and talk. So in the morning we met and talked about the show that everyone saw the night before. We made a plan that everyone had to see at least 2 theatre performances a day and 1 performance of their choice- (music/comedy). As a group we decided to see Architecting- which was done by a group of New Yorkers. The guy from the workshop at the National Theatre recommended it so we decided to see it. So we made this plan that everyone had to go get tickets... Turns out that Adam, Steph, Anthony and I bought the last 4 tickets. And we figured it was safe to say that the students hadn't made it to the box office before us. 4 Students had given us money to get them tickets so we decided that if they showed up on time we would give them the tickets... With 2 minutes before the show an announcement was made that once you enter you can't leave so we went in and gave the students money back later. It was then that we realized that at a festival it is a little too hard to make specific shows mandatory. So our day began with the meeting, then breakfast. Adam, Steph, Anthony and I walked around lesurely and got lots of cool pictures of the castle. We found another graveyard and a little park. I love wandering in places I don't know (as long as they are generally safe areas). Stephanie wanted to do the whiskey experience- we didn't have a lot of time to tour the whole place so we did a little car ride that took us through (similar to chocolate world but defineitly not as cool) When that was over we got a shot of whiskey. It was early but it went down smoothly. After that we decided it might be in our best interest to grab some lunch. We walked a bit more and that's when we bought our tickets for Architecting then went across the street to a place called Shakespeares for lunch. After it was over we went to see a play that Stephanie wanted to see called Terminus. She loved it, Anthony liked it, Adam liked parts of it, and I did not like it at all. The set was awesome- so dark looking and so simple. There were three actors- the one female was great. The other one I barely listened to and the guy couldn't keep my attention either. It was three people taking turns giving monologues and by the end you figure out that the stories all connect... interesting concept yes... but poor execution and the concept was not realized... well at least that what I think and I think Adam may agree. After that we had some free time. We walked around some more. Adam got a coffee and I had a hot chocolate. Great thing about Scotland was that it was cold and hot chocolate tasted great. We saw a few students and talked to them about what they had seen or had not seen. Then it was time for Architecting. I need to see the play about 10 more times at least to be able to articulate exactly what I saw and why I loved it so much. Here we were flip flopped. Adam and I LOVED it! Stephanie and Anthony didn't really like it. The instructor from the RSC described it as a total mind fuck and that is exactly what it was. It delt with the story of Gone With the Wind but likened it to today, tied in Katrina and politics, with wierd movement pieces, and a set that deconsructs throughtout the play. Again- So many times during the play I had chills but I can't quite explain why- this play had a concept and executed it well. I would love to see it again to figure more of it out. So good play! We pizza for dinner and then went to a free comedy club for a show that was called something to the effect of "Lets talk about sex sing a long" I now know why it was free... It wasn't very funny. I think we laughed a few times... I think... Architecting was by far the best we had seen at the festival.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.465s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb