Heroes, Haggis and Hogmanay


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
January 2nd 2008
Published: January 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Happy New Year!Happy New Year!Happy New Year!

Notice the Fosters we're drinking, delicious!
We left Drumnadrochit a little bit bigger then when we arrived and headed for the Edinburgh Hogmanay. Our trip to Edinburgh included a short stop in Stirling to visit the William Wallace Monument. The monument was very impressive and we got to see William’s broad sword as well as some nice views over the Stirling countryside.

Daylight was running out so we left Stirling and arrived in Edinburgh just before dark (4pm!) where we met up with Jess and Steven who flew in from skiing in France for the festivities. The first event of the hogmanay festival was a torchlight procession through the streets up to Calton Hill where wooden effigies are burnt. Burning effigies sounds a bit cult-like but apparently its all kosher. It must have been a bit wet as it took a long time (and plenty of smoke) to get the deer we were watching to burn!

The next day we started off with a walk through the city and a visit to Edinburgh Castle which was one of the better preserved castles we’ve been to. It is situated on top of a hill in the middle of the city so it makes for some good pictures as well. That night we went to a restaurant that specialised in Scottish food and Mick got the Haggis, neeps and tatties with Karen getting the flying Scotsman (chicken breast stuffed with haggis and bacon). Although haggis sounds bad it actually tasted quite good.

On New Years Eve we slept in to prepare for the night ahead and once we got up we went to Holyrood Park and climbed the steep mountain to Arthur’s Seat. We got some great pictures of the city from up here. From there we walked up the famous Royal Mile before heading home to get ready for the Hogmanay Street Party. Before heading to the street party we filled our camelbaks up with whiskey and coke which was just as well because the only beers they sold at the street party was Fosters. There were so many Aussies there that you would have been excused for thinking you were actually in Australia. The night went very well with the New Year and fireworks over the castle coming around very quickly. Just after midnight we got to see the Red Hot Chilli Pipers (yes Pipers, they play bagpipes) which had the crowd going nicely. We eventually got home and had a big sleep in the next day with some being a bit worse for wear.

On the way back to Cardiff we drove along the coastline of southern Scotland and northern England and stopped for a night in Whitby which is the home of Captain Cook as well as where the original Dracula story was written and set. It was here that we eventually saw some snow which was only 10 days late! Our drive back was made interesting by the snow and the roads were very slippery. Luckily Jason and Clancy got us through the worst of it!

Happy New Year to everyone.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

On GuardOn Guard
On Guard

With guards like this no one would try storming this castle
Holyrood ParkHolyrood Park
Holyrood Park

The view from Arthur's Seat
William Wallace's SwordWilliam Wallace's Sword
William Wallace's Sword

You know what they say - big sword, big..................... biceps
Whitby - St Mary's ChurchWhitby - St Mary's Church
Whitby - St Mary's Church

At the top of the 199 steps where Dracula takes his victim!
Good old Captain CookGood old Captain Cook
Good old Captain Cook

long time, no see


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb