Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Dalkeith
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Dalkeith
Latest Blogs from Dalkeith
- March 16th 2012 I Apologise!!! (No that's not a mispelling, the use of the letter "z" here is pretty much non-existing)
by Words: 2477 Photos: 11
- February 9th 2012 "THIS IS HOME"
by Words: 2488 Photos: 15
- December 5th 2007 Y2K7
by Words: 254 Photos: 0
- November 26th 2007 I need sleeeep
by Words: 199 Photos: 0
- November 17th 2007 Glasgow and more
by Words: 367 Photos: 0
- November 11th 2007 Haggis Night
by Words: 420 Photos: 0
- November 8th 2007 Drama, drama, drama.
by Words: 302 Photos: 0
- November 5th 2007 Back from Italy!
by Words: 716 Photos: 0
- October 23rd 2007 Halloween, Alnwick, and MIDTERMS!
by Words: 222 Photos: 0
- October 17th 2007 What a day, what a night, what a week!
by Words: 240 Photos: 0
- October 13th 2007 Feeling better
by Words: 246 Photos: 0
- October 7th 2007 Bonjour!
by Words: 274 Photos: 0
- October 1st 2007 What do we do in our free time?
by Words: 110 Photos: 0
- September 30th 2007 Highland Romp
by Words: 335 Photos: 0
- September 25th 2007 Just for you, Aunt Cher...
by Words: 247 Photos: 0
- September 23rd 2007 A low key weekend.
by Words: 161 Photos: 0
- September 17th 2007 A weekend on Princes Street
by Words: 138 Photos: 0
- September 13th 2007 Busy bee
by Words: 154 Photos: 0
- September 8th 2007 A tiring day, a wild night.
by Words: 284 Photos: 0
- September 6th 2007 Finally here.
by Words: 140 Photos: 0