Underground Ghost Tour and a Bus Trip


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
May 5th 2005
Published: May 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

May 5th 2005
Glasgow, Scotland.

Well, yesterday was certainly a full one. After the day trip to Loch Ness, which returned around 7:30pm, I had some dinner, wrote down some core basics of my day on the internet (most of these blogs are written in full only days later), and then took off to attempt, yet again, to do the ghost tour of Edinburgh's underground vaults. I had tried to do this tour before but they do not run it unless there are four or more people and you can’t book ahead. And luck be a lady, but I turned up, gasping, at 10:37pm to find that the guide had dawdled over her apologies to the three other people and that, yay, now we could go. The ‘yay’ was from us, not her. But she took it on the chin and off we trundled to visit some above-ground significantly haunted sights, listen to some of Edinburgh's darker history, inspect some rusting metal torture instruments ("genuine"), and finally, fiiiinally, down go into some of the underground vaults.

Now, the story behind Edinburgh's underground city changes with each account, but the most believable for me is the following: In those days the city of Edinburgh resided entirely within the safety of the surrounding wall, which had been built against marauders but eventually led to an unwelcome confining of construction and progress, rather like a too-tight belt on a fat lady. The population of Edinburgh was escalating, yet there was no room for more housing, and they refused to leave the protection of the city walls. So they instead built up, which was unusual in such times. And after building the lower two or three stories of stone they had to use more lightweight, incidentally flammable materials such as wood and thatch. Well, guess how that turned out.

So after some of the greater fires had destroyed a lot of the buildings and they had to start from scratch they decided to excavate a bit and add some underground streets, then paved over much of that and built up and out again. The thing is, the underground vaults I saw are awful and cannot have been much better in those days. There are no windows or cleverly constructed skylights. There are no openings for chimney smoke and so the only lighting they could have used without killing themselves on the smoke was to burn fish oil, so that would have stunk. The walls, floors and ceilings are made from porous stone and are cold, dank and wet from the water dripping through from above. In winter it would have been like a moldy deep-freeze.

We were only able to see one alley or street, with about four vaults, or rooms. Many of Edinburgh's underground vaults are as yet undiscovered or used as storage rooms. The owner of the above property is the owner of the vault, so there are probably plenty of people with their own personal little underground piece of history, their own little alley; spare guestrooms, if you will. But it's too creepy for me.

You see, the original inhabitants of these vaults were the destitute and homeless of ancient Edinburgh. It was illegal to be homeless and the jails were hell itself, so although during the summer it was probably nicer to sleep aboveground, the city's undernourished masses would spend year after year underground, fighting and bickering over space in these tiny little hellholes. Our guide informed us that between two and four little families, or a maximum of about fifteen people, would band together to defend their little vault from newcomers. The average life expectancy after coming down to live in these rooms was apparently about a year and a half, so obviously it was not the ideal place to be. Disease and infection was rife. People probably did not bathe, and slept in huddled groups on pallets on the floor.

I listened to her talk, huddling from the chill in my nice clean jacket, listening to the water dripping through the stone-and-moss ceiling, and could not imagine how awful mid-winter in that hell-hole would be. Then she took us into another vault and told us about one of the greater fires of Edinburgh, and how people fled the above flames to huddle en-masse in these crypts, thinking they were safe from the fire. The lucky ones died quickly from smoke inhalation. The unlucky ones were cooked. The heat from the inferno raging above turned the stone rooms into ovens and apparently when the rescue workers finally managed to get down into the vaults about three days later, in this particular one they found all the people in one huge human pyramid in the centre of the room. Apparently, as the walls heated, and with the corridors blocked with yet more people with the same problem, people did the only thing they could do to get as far away from the baking sides of the room as possible: they clambered over the weak, the dead, and the dying, no doubt crushing the ones on the bottom in the process, all vying for the least unbearable spot. All ended up frying in one big pile of burnt limbs and bodies.

How gross is that? We went on and she talked about poltergeists and what had happened in certain rooms, but that one stuck with me. The tour included about four vaults along one big underground alleyway; the other alleys and such of Underground Edinburgh that we could see down the end of that alley had been boarded up over the years and we could go no further.

On the last vault we visited she spoke about how it had a poltergeist that seemed to feed on energy, on fear, and had been known to attack women and children. She banged her stick on the ground a lot to emphasis scary facts and occasionally turned off her flashlight or waved it about a lot. But it was the stories, not the dramatics, which sent chills down my spine. I was quite willing to let one of the girls in the three friends touring with me to clutch at my sleeve, though too stoic to do such a thing myself. It was comforting to feel her huddled against me, however, and know that there was somebody beside me in the dark. In the brief time before she had done so, it was very disconcerting and unnerving to stand alone in the dark with no links and listen to the tour guide talk and wave the torch around erratically. Even for a skeptic like me.

Suddenly her light went out and somebody bulky jumped out from behind the doorway with a torch to illuminate his face, crouching low and screaming "aaaaahhh!" before disappearing just as suddenly. It was all very quick, and for me, seen only out of the corner of my eye. We screamed like there was no tomorrow and it was a truly frightening moment, though of course some part of you wonders at the beginning of the tour if they'll try something like that. Very childish, really, and it would normally irritate me with its cheesiness. But it was somehow a great capper to that particular tour. My heart, already tripping uncomfortably in my chest from the stories, had lodged itself in my throat and stayed there for a good half hour after the tour.

One popular usage for old underground vaults is apparently to convert them into underground clubbing or gaming rooms. The pub that we ended up at for our free drinks had just such a usage for their vaults. I went down and explored. They had painted it and added lights, but it was the same rounded roofs, the same stone walls. It was creepy, after having done the tour, after seeing the vaults when unchanged from their original state and listening to the stories of woe.

This morning I left Edinburgh and headed for Glasgow via bus - for only £1!! Pretty groovy! But what I've seen of Glasgow is fairly depressing. I wandered haphazardly for ages and ages and could find no parks - I’d rather fancied a picnic. The streets I’ve seen are predominantly concrete and buildings with almost no greenery to liven them up. But then, it is an industrial town. Industrial towns are not known for their charm, but they are very valuable in their economic contribution to the country's wellbeing. And of course if it’s a decently sized city, which I wouldn’t know because I’ve no guides for it (only here about seven hours between buses), then maybe I’ve been wandering only the crappy districts of town and its better half is a veritable paradise.

Well, I can't spend all day in an internet cafe, though it may well be cheerier here than anywhere else on offer. I'll let you know how London goes.



Advertisement



23rd October 2006

Chill
Hi, You write extremely well! I am sitting in my cozy, well lit living room with my kids right behind me watching "Power Rangers" and yet as I read your blog I had the unnerving urge to look over my shoulder! I'm going to let my mom know about your site. She is intriqued with hauntings. Going to stay the night on the Queen Mary Ship! Dee
3rd August 2008

Glasgow
I wonder which part of Glasgow you visited? Your comments such as "Glasgow is fairly depressing.. no parks .. “ and “Almost no greenery”. (it's an industrial city, so not much in the way of pretty photo opportunities or lovely green parks)" show that you didn't take any time to explore it... you were simply killing time, waiting for a bus to London. Glasgow has more parks (over 70) than any city in Europe for heaven sake!! Glasgow's oldest park - Glasgow Green is 136 acres in the city centre! - a 10-15 min walk from the bus station. Once there, you’ll also find the resplendent Templetons Carpet Factory – yes factory! overlooking the Green. Modelled on the Doge's Palace in Venice it is as fine an example of "industrial architecture" as you’re ever likely to find. But you prattle on...... “Almost no old buildings, and those that are here go unnoticed” -- Just how old are you looking for?... FYI - Glasgow has many old buildings, e.g. Provand's Lordship dates from 1471, the Cathedral was consecrated in 1197. Is that old enough for you? Glasgow's much-admired leafy (that means green!) West End is chock-full of Victorian and Edwardian terraces. There are many old fine buildings too - such as those designed by Glasgow architect & designer Charles Rennie Mackintosh – Glasgow School of Art; Cranston Tea Rooms, Daily Record Building, Queens Cross Church, to name a few. CRM was the main exponent of Art Nouveau in the UK. I suspect from your ill-informed comments that you didn't venture far from the bus station... what a pity..... because Glasgow is a city meant for walking (admittedly, that means further than is required in the compact centre of Edinburgh, where, judging by your blog, you clearly spent a lot more time. In Edinburgh, most of the "attractions" are in easy walking distance of the rail/bus stations...how convenient and thoughtful ! ... and it sure makes it easy to "do it" in a short time. You have to take a bit more time (and effort) to explore Glasgow, as it is considerably larger than Edinburgh. To find the best (and the oldest!) requires much more than an afternoon visit, but you will be richly rewarded. Free entry to museums means that the culture is easy to find too. Glasgow is an hospitable city, and it's citizens are friendly and rightly proud of her industrial heritage. Like any city with an industrial past, she bears many of the scars of that heritage, but that is only part of her story. Dig deeper to find the gems. Don’t dismiss an entire city on the view from the bus station.
12th August 2008

re: comment from "I'm from Glasgow"
You are entirely correct regarding my dismissal of Glasgow without proper evidence; I was very young at the time, and at the beginning of my travels. I apologise for the sheer ignorance of the slur against your city. I can only defend myself with the fact that I was homesick and that I did, over the subsequent two years of travel (which I still haven't had time to write of - and now no doubt never will), learn to appreciate each new location with an open heart and mind. I can honestly say that I do not think of any part of my travels with prejudice against the city or country itself, and would wholeheartedly recommend every country and experience - even the scary ones (experiences, not countries, lol). But, the ignorance of earlier blogs being part of my personal evolution, I will not delete them and can only apologise to any whom I offend, with the assumption that very few will ever stumble upon my humble scribblings.
26th May 2009

glasgow
its a pity u never toured glasgow better with their old grave yards and old buildings the oldest house in glasgow they do spookie tours also and they give u the old history of glasgow maybe one day you will be back u would love glasgow if u find the time to look about

Tot: 0.443s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb