Road Trip


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Loch Ness
October 4th 2011
Published: October 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I took a bus tour today, which involved getting up way too early and driving (well being driven) 640km up to Loch Ness. The answer is no, I did not see the Loch Ness Monster (Nessie). I did however see many sheep, hairy coo (highland cows, including the famous Hamish, with his 'wife' Heather and their daughter Honey), Urquhart Castle, Larch trees and many rolling hills.
Fran, our tour guide told us many interesting stories, such as how the Larch tree got introduced into Scotland. A Larch tree is a deciduous pine tree which was introduced to Scotland by a guy whoses name I don't remember. He had learned while in Venice that the tree's were more resistant to water and he thought 'great we should build ships out of this'. Unfortunately he died before the tree's were matured, it didn't really matter though since by the time the tree's had matured ships were being built out of steel and there were no more wooden ships.
Went for a lovely walk by Loch Ness. It was a nice day, it only rained when we were inside the bus and it quit by the time we were ready to leave. We had
Tour GuideTour GuideTour Guide

Fran, our tour guide who regaled us with tales, stories and history during our 12 hour trip.
dinner at a place named Bankfoot...any relation to Bankhead?
All in all a very nice, informative if a long day!



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

SheepSheep
Sheep

Sheep grazing in the countryside
More SheepMore Sheep
More Sheep

They are so cute.
Hamish & HeatherHamish & Heather
Hamish & Heather

Hamish (on the left) is too busy eating for a photo op.
Heather and HamishHeather and Hamish
Heather and Hamish

Heather (on the left) and Hamish. Hamish is a very famous Hairy Coo.
HoneyHoney
Honey

The baby of the family.
The Three Sisters (Left)The Three Sisters (Left)
The Three Sisters (Left)

Scotland also has a Three Sisters mountain range.
The Three Sisters (Right)The Three Sisters (Right)
The Three Sisters (Right)

The middle 'sister' is in both photos.
Wee Jacobite ChurchWee Jacobite Church
Wee Jacobite Church

Just in front of the man's head you can see the wee Jacobite Church, not in the photo but just out of sight to the right is a larger Protestant Church.
Loch NessLoch Ness
Loch Ness

Me at Loch Ness.
Loch Ness 2Loch Ness 2
Loch Ness 2

Loch Ness in the background. (No Nessie)
Hiking TrailHiking Trail
Hiking Trail

This is the beginning of the hiking trail beside Loch Ness.
Hiking Trail Hiking Trail
Hiking Trail

This reminds me of the scene in Anne of Green Gables when Matthew is taking Anne to Green Gables and they pass a place like this, which Anne names 'White Way of Delight'.
Wild BlackberriesWild Blackberries
Wild Blackberries

I think... I was not sure enough to eat one, but they looked and smelled like blackberries.
MushroomsMushrooms
Mushrooms

There were a lot of interesting mushrooms along the hiking trail.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb