A drive to St Andrews


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Fife » Saint Andrews
July 17th 2012
Published: July 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we all got up early and packed a picnic. We set out in the car and headed to Dollar to visit Castle Campbell which is set high up in the forest of Dollar Glen. We parked and walked to the amazing castle. The castle was built over time with parts being added by new owners. The oldest part is called the castle gloom which is a high tower with four floors and a roof walk, this was built in 1430. We had so much fun exploring this great building running up and down the stairs, in and out of rooms like children. Once on the roof the views were spectacular, we could see for miles with hillside and trees to one side and on the other an open valley over looking the village of Dollar. The rest of the castle was mostly in ruin but we still walked where the East and South Ranges once stood and the size of the whole castle grounds were just amazing. We then took a walk down to the three tier terraced gardens which were just beautiful and in full flower.

We then set out on the 45 minute drive to St Andrew a seaside town. Once parked we walked to the Cathedral which was built in 1160 and took well over 100 years to complete, however damaged by fire and storms most of the cathedral was damaged. What survives dates mainly from the 1300s and 1400s and in itself is amazing to see. We decided to take a walk up the oldest standing building in St. Andrews’. St Rule’s church has a 160 step stone spiral staircase that takes you to the top of a 100 foot tower that over looks the Cathedral and the city of St Andrew.

With very sore calves we hobbled over to the castle which was along the cliff and had a wee wander round this ancient ruin. It was originally built in the 12th century but most of the stones that remain are from buildings erected in 1390 and even though there was not much of the castle left to see it was still nice to walk around the grassy court yard.

We enjoyed lunch and a walk round the city before going to look at the St Andrews’ links which is one of the oldest courses in Scotland.

Chris took us on a lovely drive to the Forth Rail Bridge which was a great sight, it was build before the first world war and it has a single track for trains to cross the water.

We had Haggis for dinner at home which Shane liked then went to the pub for a drink and had a quick chat with Karla’s Mum and Dad on skype. Heather said hi but she was busy watching a movie! Haha. It was great to say hi to everyone back in PEI.

 k + S


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb