A Symbol of Hope


Advertisement
Published: July 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

St Anne's Cathedral is one of the highlights of the Cathedral Quarter found at the city centre of Belfast. It is a religious icon in its own way for so many years and its reputation is more visible after the installation of the 53 meters high Spire, just at the top of the altar of the church.



In my previous visits to the city, I always have the desire to find out what is inside this prominent structure, standing tall besides the University of Ulster. Since I always bring my camera to capture its towering structure and exteriors, unluckily I don’t have the chance to get closer to the interior of the church for the fact that my visits were always in the closing time.

I have heard good things about this church from my Irish friends and this is the main reason why I took the time to visit during its free regular public viewing on Saturday at 1:00pm. It is also timely to view the newly installed structure, the Spire which is now the tallest figure in Belfast skyline, symbolising "hope" to mankind.

Briefly, the Spire is weighing 30 tonnes stainless steel, 53 meters high (175 feet), designed in Belfast but it was manufactured in Switzerland and lifted above the altar in January 2007 using a 500-tonne capacity crane.

It is indeed magnificent and stunning interiors with large columns in both sides of the main aisle leading to the altar. It has a high ceiling with beautiful and colourful stained glass windows which provide a dramatic lighting to the upper walls and columns. The added lights (for heating as well) are also installed along the walls, just above arches connecting the columns for both sides of the aisle. There are two prominent sections near the main side entrance doors which not to be missed while visiting the church especially with their decorative domes. Also, the individual small chairs are eye catchers with different covers serving as cushions for kneeling.

The position of the Spire is very dramatic with a little feeling of "worry or alert" - looking at the pointed shiny material above the centre of the altar. I am worried if the Spire collapsed and suddenly dropped to the altar during the ceremony while the priest is busy preparing for his sermon. I don’t know but, it is the wildest and worst thing to happen, if the structure was not constructed properly, which undoubtedly it was taken this seriously by the designer.

For additional info about the church and other attractions nearby, please visit this link for details.

City Attractions in Belfast





Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb