HOT AIR BALLOONS, MAC’S CAR, A BALTI, A 40th & A PICNIC


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Worcestershire » Bromsgrove
May 27th 2012
Published: May 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Before we left Shropshire we had one last dinner with Philip and Pat up at the College. Their house sits up on the hill and is adjacent to one of the old farm paddocks. With the weather having become stunning – mid 20s and clear blue skies – we enjoyed fizz in the garden in glasses adorned with Diamond Jubilee crowns. We have joked with everyone that the bar for the standard of hospitality seems to get higher and higher; at Pat and Philip’s there was something distinctly summery and different. As we enjoyed our first drink a hot air balloon was launched on the College grounds, it rose up over Spy Bank and the basket load of people set off into the sky – PAW could not have scripted it better as the moment was perfect.

Our dinner was also a chance for us to have a good chat about our Burgundy trip in mid-July. We have been to ‘Burgs’ with them a few times but since we last went in 2003 they have discovered and been going to a different farm house, which we have rented for the fortnight. From the photos it looks great and we cannot wait to reacquaint ourselves with the area. PAW and DWR will sort out some vineyards for us to visit, which is always fun as you usually spend time with the winemaker and a slice of good cheese. I will also be pleased to make the Continent so that I am on the correct side of the road for the car – looking through the passenger side window for oncoming traffic keeps you on your toes. I think we have nearly got all the systems sorted out and I guess the final safety check is shut your eyes and go! With Mark P joining us for the second week it is likely that we will also do some of the Michelin restaurants; apparently he has a list of ones to try. I am looking forward to that – and Mark’s cooking. With Mark now a GP I may have to get him to do a quick mid trip check-up to see if the cholesterol is up or down – I would be guessing up ever so slightly. I am certainly having less shooting pains down the arm, which I believe is a positive.

Once again Philip and Pat’s hospitality was outstanding and we enjoyed a dinner of prawns and salmon. Once we had drunk the fizz we moved on to PAW’s cellar choices – they are always good and usually a record of a previous holiday that they have taken. In fact it has been known for Philip to measure car boot space on the basis of cases of wine rather than suit cases. I am sure as their car heads back through the Chunnel later in the year it will have a few more to add to the cellar.

After leaving Ellesmere and the comfort of DWR’s home – hope you found the keys Bob - we went to visit Ros and Mac at their home in Northwood, Shropshire. They have a beautiful home set on a small farm and when you arrive you see pigeons, chickens, foals in the paddocks and a turkey in the yard.

Ros and Mac are newly retired but as with everyone else we have met in this category are extremely busy. They spent time last year in India where Ros helped create a learning support department at Scindia School. For many years she had been HOD of the learning support department at Ellesmere – a nationally recognised part of the school that the school should be forever proud of. When they retired they set out to travel parts of the world and they visited us last year in Auckland as part of an extensive tour of NZ; their desire to travel now seems even stronger. It was nice to have a chance to catch up with them and hear of their travels and plans – we are included in some of them as we are going to stay with them in France later in the summer.

Mac had told us that he had bought a new ‘toy’ and with that we were taken to the garage to see his brand new Morgan Three Wheeler car. WOW! These cars are based on the Morgan cars of the 20s and 30s but are built with a modern feel and modern components. They have an S&S engine with a Mazda MX5 manual transmission. They can do 0-60 miles/h in 4.5 seconds and have a top speed of 115 MPH. It is stunning and they are going to have some fun driving this around the lanes and roads of Shropshire. Delivered only a month ago it is essentially just out of the wrapper and as such Mac has to keep it at a reasonable speed level; well reasonable to a point as I am sure I heard him say that “this thing can go”. He took me for a spin around the block. It is quite a weird sensation as you are low to the ground in a pencil shaped tube with two visible wheels at the front and a third wheel hidden from view at the back. Getting in may be an art but I must say that it has ample leg room though, which for someone with long legs I was a tad concerned about. They are still so unique that other drivers and pedestrians appear to be staring at you – I don’t blame them as this is a beautiful car and displays all the finery that only a hand built car could. They take nine weeks to produce but are going to provide a lifetime of fun.

Thanks for the spin Mac – I feel that with me in my flat cap and you in your goggles and gloves we certainly looked the part! Hope you like the photos.

After that it was all fairly uneventful and we had a good run through to Bromsgrove. Bromsgrove is an outer suburb of Birmingham and is where our good friends Al and Kate have moved to as Al is back teaching at Bromsgrove School. It had been seven years since we had last seen Kate (Al visited us in NZ in 2007) and in that time two additions have been made to the household. Thus we have had our first opportunity to meet Narelle’s godson Alex and his younger brother Adam. It is also a great time to visit as Al is 40 while we are here.

It was Alex’s class assembly on Friday so we went along to hear his class speak and sing about ‘bugs’. It was great to see him up on stage as he showed his papier-mâché ladybug with six black spots and then back in his classroom environment. We have also been to see him at his music class. His teacher was fantastic and for forty-five minutes they sang, banged the drum and marched around the village hall. From the associated smiles it was apparent that they enjoyed it all. Adam goes to Music on a Monday so at this class he was only there as an observer. He makes me laugh as he eats everything – a packet of raisins, a banana and a fruit stick all went south along with copious water.

If you want a curry meal in the UK then one of the best places to head is the Birmingham area. I have experienced them before and the naan breads were as big as dustbin lids. There is also the local tradition of a Balti – your curry is served to you in a round wok-like bowl. This is perhaps one of the most favourite curries in the UK and its origins appear to be in and around Birmingham; well that’s what the Brummies say. We went to ‘Mint’ restaurant in Bromsgrove and it was superb. I feel my fellow Curry Club members in Auckland would have approved of the service and food but may have been disappointed (read abusive) that I had a wine and not a Kingfisher. Marks would also have been lost for overall ambience as we were one of three tables sitting in the place – however, our table ambience was superb. As an aside my lamb Balti was wonderful and from the other empty plates I would think the food would have scored highly.

With Al back at Bromsgrove we thought that a tour of the campus was a must. I had been to the school with Ellesmere fixtures but over the past few years there has been an extensive building campaign. In fact the new sports arena is only three weeks old so it was all shiny and new. You would have to say that the facilities are exceptional and show off why Bromsgrove’s numbers are growing – even at a time when public school numbers overall are seen to be falling. The playing fields are well presented and we enjoyed sitting under an oak tree on the boundary watching some of the 2nd XI fixture versus King Edward’s Birmingham. Frustratingly for Al (the coach) his side dropped three crucial catches and when it came to the run chase that was the difference in winning or losing. I think he did well just to get a side out on the park – the Sixth Form had gone on study leave the day before and there were a few rumours flying that it could have been a late night for some. We seem to have quite a connection with Bromsgrove and friends; obviously Al teaches there, Celine went to school there as did our old mate ‘Pricey Price’ and back in Auckland good friends of ours, Don and Brenda have an old Bromsgrove Rugby XV cap on their wall, which was awarded in the early part of the last century to a family member.

And now to Al’s 40th, which for Al was spent at school. Even being a Saturday did not go in his favour as it is a school day for Bromsgrove. It certainly meant that he did not get any presents or cards during the day; a bit tough on the old bugger! The plan was to celebrate his birthday with a dinner at a restaurant at Stone House Manor near Kidderminster and that is exactly what we did. It was a fantastic night in a beautiful location. We had a taxi pick us up (see next paragraph) after a few drinks at home and after more drinks in the lounge area the four of us along with Edmund and Katie sat down to a wonderful meal. The setting was stunning as the restaurant area opened up onto a large grassed area in front of the former manor house. The site was so big that even with two wedding receptions being held there we hardly saw the guests although there was a distant thud of disco music and Kate and Narelle thought they may have glimpsed a bride. With the exceptional weather that appears to just roll on at the moment it was still warm outside at 11pm, which was a bonus as our taxi was nearly an hour late. The food and service made the evening although with all of us ending up having a main of the lamb we could not discuss the other dishes. It was an exceptional venue and made for a most enjoyable night.

I mention taxis through gritted teeth as the taxi company we used had a ‘mare last night. We encountered quite possibly the rudest taxi driver in Britain who snapped at us when he arrived 15 minutes late – we had watched him do a lap of the estate without seeing us standing by the roadside. He told us when he finally realised where he was at 5 past 8 that “I have a twenty past booking” and was obviously bemused that we didn’t really care. His local knowledge was poor at best and the final bit to send him over the edge was when he found out that he had to head down the Kidderminster Road. He asked us how far do he would have to “go down the Kidderminster Road” and when we told him that it would be pretty much all the way to Kidderminster he was not happy and he kept on repeating something about a twenty past booking that the office had given him. Anyway, he got us there and we paid the £13 quoted fare and he drove off with a right grump on. Oh how we wish that was the end of it. Nope! As we waited for our booked return taxi little did we know that the same guy was meant to be coming to get us but we found out this little gem of knowledge when we rang to enquire where our taxi had got to. Apparently, he had refused to come and get us as we were abusive in the cab and had not paid the fare when he dropped us off so he told the office he was not going back “down the Kidderminster Road” to get us. So a small change of plans – Kate went home with Edmund and Katie to relieve the babysitter and NLS, Al and I waited for a replacement taxi driver who would be happy to transport the alleged abusive, marauding, vomiting and drunk group of fare dodging birthday revellers back to Bromsgrove. Thankfully one of their drivers was willing to take such a risk with us and in a funny twist was actually cheaper than his colleague.

Once home we debriefed and compared tales of the evening and taxi ride into the small hours while Al finally got to open some presents and cards. He is now the proud owner of personalised plates for his car and has some pretty special Tottenham Hotspur memorabilia for his study wall. This had caused great laughter and concern since it arrived in a huge box, which Spurs legend Ossie Ardiles may have actually been able to get in on his own. Thankfully Al and Kate will not have to add an extra room on to facilitate the new piece of memorabilia.

It is the Diamond Jubilee holiday next weekend, a four day break to celebrate Queen Elizabeth’s 60 years on the throne. Sadly we will miss most of the festivities as we will be heading out of Southampton on Sunday to begin our two week Baltic cruise. It is incredible how the local communities have embraced the event and shows how much the monarchy still means to this country. The local councillor for the area we are staying in at the moment hosted an afternoon picnic that we attended and it was well supported. There was bunting, cider trucks, hog roasts, a clown, many races and a tug-a-war. It was a brilliant afternoon. Al and I went to the park and set up a gazebo for us to sit under and Kate provided an afternoon tea that could have been served at the Palace. Alex and I won at the tombola – he a book and for myself a bottle of Shiraz. The weather continues to be fantastic and along with many waking up tomorrow with cider fuelled hangovers there will be some horrific cases of sunburn.

White skin becomes red skin oh so quickly in the sun and no amount of that famous “remedy” calamine lotion will appease it - ouch! Thankfully I will not be in that position.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb