Is the world coming to an end??


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire » Keighley
May 8th 2007
Published: May 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today has seen the end of a bank holiday weekend for me, one that has been quite strange really.

The school even had a sneaky day off on Friday so I had an extra-ordinary bank holiday weekend (public holiday...)

Fri passed uneventfully, slept til the afternoon for the first time since landing in Keighley! Then pottered around the house for the afternoon before juniors training in the evening. A nice break, and my first break in a fortnight so i enjoyed the time. Watched a lot of the world snooker championships. It is quite big over here, and can be extremely boring, amazingly there is more to snooker than just whacking it as hard as you can and hoping that one of the balls hits a pocket.....

Sat I played my first away game. Disappointingly i forgot my camera, but it was a truly English ground, on one corner a house cut onto the field by about 5 metres. It was also TINY. I have a run up of about 23m. I started my run up about 5m form the sight screen!!! There was a 30m circle (i think maybe 30 yard..??) marked out, and when i was fielding in front of the house in the cutoff corner, i could be standing on the boundary, fielding at third man/fine leg, take one step, and be saving one inside the circle! Surprisingly there were a large number of boundaries hit - even more amazingly, not one ball was lost given the number of sixes that went into surrounding houses.

Sunday we played against the team topping the ladder in the top division, and another team that pay out tens of thousands of pounds in wages. I also faced another international player. Gavin Hamilton. NO you probly haven’t heard of him, he played for Scotland at the last world cup. Anyway, he hid down at number five so even though Max and i bowled a good opening spell and had them 3 for not many i didn’t get a real crack at him at all. Given their outlandish wages, i thought that they were pretty ordinary team, Hamilton made 125, a class innings, i think it was a pity we were a bowler down this week, because i didn’t get a chance to have a go at him at the start even though he played and missed a few times and i had him snick a couple short of slip, we then had to bring on spinners and he played a class innings and settled in nicely. The rest of the team only made 100 between them. I don’t thin k any of them would be good players in the 2's with me at home, i didn’t think much of them at all, the opener who got 30 odd snicked mishit and slogged his way to a stinking innings and the rest only got worse!!
234 to win for the KCC. It had been a gloomy day and given cricket now starts at 1.30 (yes one thirty, day night matches start at home at 2.15 and we start day cricket - red balls at 1.30 for the rest of the season!!! does make for a good sleep in but!) There was a bit of rain around and we ended up having about an hour tea break as we had to wait for the rain to completely stop to begin again... About half 6 or so we walked out to bat quite dark and really not much chance of a full game of cricket- i was wondering what sort of system the English use to find a result in rain effected matches - and what our tactics would. Our openers made 100 in good time, and i thought no matter the process we should win this, then the rain started again with 30 overs to go and it got DARK. I mean dusk came down and it was getting hard to read the sign on the buildings at the far side of the ground. The KCC fans started getting disgruntled and yelling at the umps to pull the players off the field. Unluckily we lost both openers in one over, one to a ball that leapt of a length and just brushed the glove; it can’t be a good feeling to go out to a brute of a ball in the dark when the play is halted 45 seconds later. With 27 overs to go, and 120 runs to get play was halted the rain started pelting down and we called it off for the night. What do you mean, called it off for the night i asked - don’t we get a result. NO sonny, we'll see you here tomorrow at one thirty and we will continue play form where it finished i was sternly told, ha ha very funny who won... nope, they weren’t joking, bank holiday Monday every player woke up to a rocket from their better halves about why they have to play damn cricket on a Monday pubic holiday and not do what they planned and back we were at KCC oval. Even more hilariously, if it had rained heavily yesterday we would have been back every evening at 6pm until the 27 remaining overs had been bowled!!!


We ended up knocking off the runs easily, only 3 wickets down and so it was see ya later top team!! To be honest they were shit anyway and their attitude was terrible to the game, especially on the Monday and they deserved nothing more. If they can get payed up to 10,000 quid each, what am i doing getting nothing!!

So my plans for another day of rest before back into teaching were ruined, the family I’m living with had planned on taking me around the sights of Bradford/west Yorkshire so i haven’t really missed all that much.

Today sees me back to the slog of supply teaching, same school, and miss Patel is back so i am just filling in classes here and there again, today i am generally being an IT teacher, and i think i may well have now almost completed a chance to teach a class across the whole of the curriculum, yes after teaching RE last week- today i am teaching - ENGLISH. Yes GK will be passing on his knowledge of this wonderful language to a bunch of stinking year 8's - is the world coming to an end.......


Advertisement



8th May 2007

photos
i remember you mentioning something about photo's before, and a link to where they are... can i have it again? I can't be arsed looking for them. but i love your dross, keeps me entertained at work. keep it up. Lut
9th May 2007

photos
www.gkintheuk.shutterfly.com, i have been a bit slack lately thouhg and there arent many there, ill try and remember to keep my camera with me more....

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb