keighley life continues


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire » Keighley
May 2nd 2007
Published: May 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, it has been a busy couple of weeks here at Keighley. Work from 6 til 5 or 6, training twice a week, juniors one night a week and cricket all weekend makes for a pretty busy time, hence my lack of correspondance. sorry.

Work has been pretty good, on my second wednesday the school asked me back again for another week and they have had no less than 10 supply teachers in each day and i have now taken over from another girl who reportadly has glandular fever so i reckon i might be good for another couple of week work here.

The school system here is very similar to at home. I think that teachers would be able to swap between countries and there would be no problem. The teacher i am covering for now has more senior classes, which dont get covered, so i then get given odd classes throughout my day. so far i have taugh PE, RE, maths, science, food technology, woodwork, biology and chemistry, we'll just call me all round knowledgable then! I've also been to the year level form teachers meeting, as well has done duty (been abused) and superised detention after school last week.

the staff are very cool here, they have a lot of very young staff so it is easy to get along with them and chat to them in breaks and stuff. I have also used their knowledge and experiences to plan out what im going to do on my weeks off. It's what gets me through really, you have a horrible class and students giving you heaps, you just have to think about the fact you have next week off, and the rounds of golf to be played, or the flight to .... wherever.

I have in fact received my first pay cheque and thought i should treat myself so i have booked flights to poland for the end of the month. It is a very 'in' place with young people over here, cool history (auswitch etc..) and coupled with the 6 to 1 exchange rate i think my few days hanging out in Krakow should be a blast. Also the fact that it cost me less than a days work to get there and back (50 quid) and i think there might be some cool trips on the cards over the next couple of months.

I have also had a chance to catch up wiht a few of the MUCCers who have passed through or are playing here. I am living less than half an hour from Leggo so have met up wiht him a few times and chris grant also passed through over the weekend on the way back form the world cup so we had a few beers in leeds and talked cricket mostly.
What a funny finish to the world cup it was. People over here already didnt care about it (even when england were a chance to qualify) and so to finish that way has meant absolutely everyone thinks its a big joke. It gets only one or two pages in the paper, while the football league 7 match between the equivalent of stawell V sale even gets a half page article - and abouts its implication on promotion/relegation. I had to play at exactly the same times as the final so did not get to watch it but thinks its a real pity people arenot tlaking about the fact aust played awesome, rather the fact that the cup was crap.
Champions league here is also massive, i have had a chance to atch most of all three matches and have decided liverpool and chelsea should be demoted for being cautios boring & negative. Last night (my time) was so inevitabe that they should have only sent 5 players each to the ground and begun with the shootout to save us all the pain! THe build up ot thse matches is like the finals time in melbourne it is huge and cver the back page of veery paper, as wel as the second back, third back......... for about 5 pages of analysis, even before kickoff!
Leeds were doomed to relegation on the weekend, and fans rushed the pitch with a minute on the clock still, so we stayed well out of leeds on sat night. They have a pretty bad reputaion, leeds fans over here

The weather continues to impress, i have not seen actual rain since ive been here, i have even worn just my creams (no shirts underneath and no jumper over the top as have had to previously) for a couple of games. i keep being told it must change soon, but could live wiht it if it doesnt! If the wind is in the right direction and comes straight off the north pole then it can bebloody freezing. When i went to PE the other day i had to unpire cricket, and had taken my coat off and not putit back on, the wind just takes every bit of warmth out of you and i was frozen by the time we went back into class! OtherPR teachers come in shorts and or t-shirts most days and have no idea how they do it!

Ok enough inane dross form me, i am going to post a cricket entry next, so only read it if your interested in my cricket results and analysis of my cricket, if not, hope its all going well and giz an email wiht your news.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0861s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb