Coventry, Tea, Stratford and Lear


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Midlands » Coventry
July 6th 2010
Published: July 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Cheerio everyone!

Things have been super busy here in the UK! My course has been going very well and the people who are taking it have such amazing life experiences and have shared a lot of valuable resources and insight. My instructor is very upbeat and makes learning both fun, meaningful and interactive!

We have been in Coventry for about 6 days now having landed here on Friday last and took a bus from Gatwick. The weather has been amazing, with absolutely no rain in sight as of yet. We are doing our course work at the Coventry Transport Museum. Coventry used to be a major factory town for car production including Jaguars and other fancy cars. The industry has been in decline since the recession but the museum itself is quite impressive. There is even a delorian that was what was used in Back to the Future.

We have visited the Coventry Cathedral ruins a few times as we have walked about the town. You can see the spires from everywhere. The Germans bombed the Cathedral and the town during the Blitzkrieg during World War II so what remains are the outside walls. THey have rebuilt a beautiful church that is new and attached to it where I went to church on Sunday evening! Coventry is quite a multicultural town and it is neat to see people of all backgrounds and walks of life. On the weekend there was the Godiva Festival so we were treated to a parade and attended the Music Festival in War Memorial Park. Everything is very close and in walking distance. We have frequented a few of the local restaurants-- no fish and chips yet, but some good donair and italian food! I am sure we will add to our English meals soon. I have tried vegetarian leek sausages for breakfast that have been quite tasty!

Yesterday we ventured to Stratford-upon-Avon to see King Lear performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company. The production was excellent. Some interesting special effects with the storm and the tech part of the show was excellent! We had high tea in the afternoon with the yummiest raisin scones I have ever tasted with clotted cream and jam and of course a delicious pot of tea and a sweet! It was at the Anne Hathaway tea house in town. We also went to Shakespeare's birthplace, to a place where they are excavating his last owned home and the house of his daughter Elizabeth. We went to Holy Trinity Church and saw Shakespeare's grave inside.

I am enjoying the amazing conversations with my fellow teachers and travellers -such a wealth of experience!

Getting lost in Coventry has been a great pastime--lots of neat places to explore. This morning we visited a local school and the performances were being done by a program called CovCoolKids who worked with local artists. The performers did dance, drama and music and were between the ages of 5-10. So cute!

I must be off as we are taking the train to explore Birmingham this afternoon.

Wish you could experience all this beauty and fun!

much love!

Katy

Advertisement



6th July 2010

Vegetarian sausage?????
Katy, What is vegetarian sausage? Oh well, at least you had a donair. Sounds like you're having an amazing time. Well done! G
7th July 2010

cheerio
Hey Katy! Sounds wonderful so far! I can almost picture it. You're such a great storyteller. Anything sounds interesting when you're telling it!! Take care and enjoy the rest of your trip...

Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb