Day 25 - Warwick and Stratford Upon Avon


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire
August 30th 2009
Published: August 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: The Warwick Castle Trebuchets 18 secs

1 additional video(s) currently being processed
Today is our last day in England. We started the day at Warwick Castle which has been setup as a tourist/ fun park with family activities on medieval theme based on the history of the castle during the War of the Roses.

We visited the Staterooms and other exhibits, setup with wax figures to show life at the time during the preparation for battle. Warwick also have a working Trebuchets which they fire off twice a day. This does not sound like a lot but it took a team of 8 people 15 minutes to set it up for firing. Considering that in battle these things would be fired every 5 minutes, the team would have to be very skilled and very fit.

Around Midday we ventured into the Warwick Dungeon exhibit which is a theatrical experience. It is an entertaining look at what went on in a medieval dungeon made all the more fun by the fact that our group had a number of people who were very scared.

Once we had had our fill of Warwick Castle we travelled to the home of William Shakespeare, Stratford upon Avon. This town in setup for tourists, with bus
Birthplace of ShakespearBirthplace of ShakespearBirthplace of Shakespear

StratfordUpon Avon
tours and attractions available for people see and experience the story of the bard’s life in the town. As you walk through the streets you come across actors playing out different scenes from Shakespearian plays, and you pass important locations from the Bard’s life, including his birthplace, school, and your visit needs to include a visit to the abbey to see the Bard’s grave.

We spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying the town and the river Avon before heading to Birmingham Airport to catch our flight to Dublin.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb