Castle number 3 on the grand tour..


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire » Warwick
October 27th 2007
Published: October 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Last night while chilling at the BnB where I got free internet (which is always a welcome as apposed to the 10 pounds an hour at most hotels) Mom flipped open the England Guide book leant to me from Cleo. It is the best book ever (it's published by lonely planet) She was like Warwick is only like 9 miles from here and there is a really old cool castle there. Lets go there tomorrow on our way to Oxford. I love lastminute trips like that. It was super easy to get to...like anything else we get to the town with no problem and then we get there and spend forever actually finding te castle. you wouldn't think it would be that difficult because, well, it's a castle, how hard is it to miss. Well we did! The castle was awesome. It was so much better than the previous two i had been to. It was so much older. In cardiff it was like "this wing was added in 17bla bla bla) but her it was "this room was renovated in 1305...) It was 'mad old' haha We saw the torture chambers and the living quarters. THey had wax people throughout the castle which was pretty sweet.
We saw this demonstration on the long bow. Developed by the welsh and the english stole, borowed, the idea from them. One of the knights was apparently riding his horse into wales and a hunter saw him and hated knights and shot him in the leg and the knight freaked out and turned the horse to run away and the hunter shot him in the other leg all the way through again basically pinning him to his horse. and he went back to england (avoiding narrow doorways as our guy said hahaha) They explained how it became law to practice longbow so that it became instinct. THey used it in the 100 years war against france and that was their upper hand. Evn though the french had bows to ours were better and we were better at using them. haha We had different strings on ours so if it rained we could replace the strings where as the french's strings couldn't be replaced and was ruined and we fought that war in the rain. He said there was something like 3 million arrows shot from English side during the one battle and it wasn't so much the arrows that killed the soldiers but trying to run through 3 million arrows was hard and they got pushed over and trampled by their own men and horses. I thought that was a little comical (not the death part, but, you know what I mean) The guys who put on the demonstration were really funny. It was definitely worth going to visit this castle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

torture devicetorture device
torture device

you were fitted in one of thsee and hung at the place you commited the crime until your body rotted....they said even the strongest of mn broke down while they were being fitted for the device


Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb