Stratford-Upon-Avon; Shakespeare Country


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Playwright William ShakespearePlaywright William ShakespearePlaywright William Shakespeare

Shakespeare effigy on the north wall of the chancel, in the Church of the Holy Trinity, overlooking his grave.
From our home base in Ettington we day tripped northwest, to the town of Stratford on the River Avon; Shakespeare Country.

Shakespeare was born here in 1564, and here he died in 1616. He and his wife, Anne Hathaway, are buried in the Church of the Holy Trinity.

The thatch-roofed cottage in which Anne Hathaway was born at Shottery has been turned into a museum.

At Wilmcote, nearby, is the cottage where Shakespeare's mother, Mary Arden, is thought to have lived. Until recently thought to have been her home, new evidence has revealed that it is infact Adam Palmer's Farmhouse - a good friend and neighbour of the Ardens - and that the true Arden home is the adjacent property known as Glebe Farm.

Although Mary Arden's house may look modest from the outside, the interior dates from c1514, which amazingly makes it slightly older than Palmer's Farm!

Stratford is pleasant and peaceful, with wide streets and quaint half-timbered houses. The city stands where a Roman road crossed the River Avon.

A 19th-century bridge spans the river; a 15th-century arched stone bridge stands beside it. After a full day of roaming around Stratford we had
Shakespeare's BirthplaceShakespeare's BirthplaceShakespeare's Birthplace

On Henley Street.
dinner at Russons Restaurant on Church Street, Yummy!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Adam Palmer's FarmhouseAdam Palmer's Farmhouse
Adam Palmer's Farmhouse

Until recently thought to have been Mary Arden's house. New evidence has revealed that it is infact Adam Palmer's Farmhouse - a good friend and neighbour of the Ardens - and that the true Arden home is the adjacent property known as Glebe Farm.
Anne Hathaway's CottageAnne Hathaway's Cottage
Anne Hathaway's Cottage

Shakespeare's wife, Anne Hathaway, was born here.
Church of the Holy TrinityChurch of the Holy Trinity
Church of the Holy Trinity

Where Shakespeare and other members of his family are buried.
Russons RestaurantRussons Restaurant
Russons Restaurant

International cuisine, also fresh fish and seafood specialties.
Hall's CroftHall's Croft
Hall's Croft

This was the home of Dr. John Hall and Shakespeare's eldest daughter Susana, whom he married in 1607. This is where Dr. Hall had his practice, and was the couple's home until they moved to New Place after Shakespeare's death.
Nash House and New PlaceNash House and New Place
Nash House and New Place

This house belonged to Thomas Nash, who in 1626 married Elizabeth Hall, Shakespeare's grand daughter and was her first husband. The site of the foundations of New Place is preserved in the garden at the side of Nash's House.
Clock TowerClock Tower
Clock Tower

The gift of an American Citizen, George W. Childs, of Philadelphia to the town of Shakespeare. In the Jubilee year of Queen Victoria.


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 24; qc: 109; dbt: 0.0911s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb