Suffolk Wanderings


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Suffolk » Framlingham
November 4th 2010
Published: November 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

25 October 2010

On the road yet again ….
Easy run from SOS to Danbury (van storage) and discovered that some of the fruit I had abandoned a couple of weeks ago was still edible which was a very definite plus.

Easy drive to Flatford Mill until the last mile or so when the sat-nav and I had a disagreement as to the best route. Frustrated I angrily switched off the sat-nav only to discover that it was correct !!!

£2.70 for the car park but that carries me through to 9am the following morning so that’s my stop for the night sorted. I am sure you do not need me to tell you that F Mill is famous as the setting for Constable's 'The Haywain' and of course you can walk down to the very spot where the artist worked on his landscape and see very much the view that so inspired him. Although there have been some changes in the landscape the National Trust try to maintain the site so that it is relatively unchanged - and you can definitely see the picture !

The site also retains the sixteenth century cottage where the Constable family lived and some other buildings including the remains of a nineteenth century dry dock. All v interesting and exceedingly picturesque.

I took the opportunity to follow the two walks that radiate out from the mill - very enjoyable ramble through the countryside.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb