Back in Sheffield


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » South Yorkshire » Sheffield
October 20th 2012
Published: October 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well. Got up on Friday morning (morning may be a little optimistic!), looking forward to a drive down through Inverness, Perth, Glasgow and stopping off at or near Hadrian's Wall for the night.

The best laid plans...

Got up at around 9.30am, made coffee etc., took the dogs for a walk, then remembered to check the oil. It was fine (engine oil, brake fluid, water for windscreen). Then hit the road. Whilst travelling the last 15-20 miles to Perth City, Scotland, we smelt a little 'gas' leak. Got out and checked our gas bottles. All fine. Got back in and drove further. 2 kilometres out of Perth, on a roundabout, started getting smoke coming out from under the van. Travelled a little way (mainly left turns), got into some industrial area, parked outside Dulux Paints and had a look. Brake fluid leaking, level down from the morning check. Called an unnamed motor vehicle recovery company (same initials as WA's) at 3.01pm, who said that there was a number of issues with the brakes, cylinders, etc. and we'd likely get towed. For the next 6 - 7 hours, learnt all about what "Onward Transporting" means, and the issues with contracting out of motor vehicle recovery services.

The recovery company advertises its top cover as including Onwards Transporting (passengers and vehicles) back to where they come from, including not disturbing their travel plans. Which would be good, except that they subcontract out the job to a second company, who then takes on (some of) the responsibility but cannot provide all of the services (although they try a lot harder than the first company - and the first company are apparently aware of this). That company then contracts out the motor vehicle component to a third company, who were absolutey fantastic and bent over backwards to help, but who have only one vehicle capable of transporting the van type that we were in, without enough drivers across Scotland to take the vehicle onwards. They are only allowed to drive 9 hours in one shift (excellent rule for driver safety) but this meant the van could not be transferred back to Sheffield which was our preferred option. They could only get the right parts on the coming Monday (this issue being on Friday night), and the first company - who advertised as providing onwards transport and is a motor vehicle insurance company - recommended we hire a vehicle and drive home through the night (after 14 hours on the road and waiting for a fix). Not sure about that recommendation from a driver safety perspective. Then they offered either a hotel room for the night, or a hire car the next day (either/or) even though their adverts suggest both options are covered.

Luckily, whilst we were sitting in the third company's showrooms, the second company was ringing around the various transport contractors in Scotland to see if anyone was available to transport the van back to Sheffield. They came up with noone. Obviously I understand that insurance companies need to make a profit (maximum revenue in, minimum expenditure out) - however if they are well aware that there are no contractors available to undertake the services they are selling - maybe they should reconsider selling the service). Luckily both the third and second companies were pushing the first company, so after 6.5 hours we had a solution. We ended up sleeping in the van overnight on the roadside outside the third company's yard (dialled a pizza for dinner - was hard trying to explain where to deliver it to!!) and then got a hire car in the morning (this morning).

So got back home at 5.45pm tonight. Looking forward to a good nights sleep!!

Advertisement



20th October 2012

sorry to hear
hi Matt, sorry to hear this but we are all glad you got back to Sheffield safely. Take care

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb