Organic Herb Field


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Wellington
June 29th 2010
Published: June 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So, at the beginning of 2008 we had had enough of our full time jobs, and decided to go and volunteer for a while, see where it took us and make no plans what so ever.

We handed our notices in to our jobs and then got out the WWOOF book of farms and wrote down a list of about 20 that sounded interesting to us.

We then wrote each name down on a piece of paper, mixed up the bits of paper and threw them onto the floor and then threw a coin over our shoulders and what ever farms they landed on we had to choose.

So we had 1 farm each and then it was just a toss of a coin to see which one we ended up going to.

As it turns out, we ended up at a small organic herb farm in Somerset at the beginning of May 2008 and we liked it so much we stayed for about 5-6 months.

It was an amazing place, the smell of the place when we first arrived was absolutely amazing - the herbs smelled brilliant!!

We learned so much in such a short space of time - it really couldn't have been any different from our office jobs, we harvested herbs, transplanted them, made raised beds, compost, dried herbs, make tinctures, did LOTS of weeding and generally had an amazing time.

By the time in was due to come to an end we had gotten the travel bug again, but didn't know where to go.

We also needed to earn some money after volunteering for so long our savings had pretty much disappeared so we rang a few local farms to see if they needed any workers, thankfully ony of them did and we ended up picking apples for about 5 weeks which boosted our savings back up again.

Coincidentally or not, we met someone apple picking who said they knew of work in Denmark .... and a few weeks later we were harvesting Christmas trees in the snow in the middle of Denmark!

After doing this for a few months we came back to the UK and were lucky enough to be able to stay in the caravan at the herb field we had volunteered at, as it was empty over the winter.

Then over the Christmas period we rang around a couple of farms again to see if they had any work, luck would have it that we then found some at the same Apple orchard that we had picked Apples at before going to Denmark, so off we went at the beginning of 2009 to do some winter Apple tree pruning just outside of Taunton, Somerset .... which I'll write about in another post soon...

In the mean time feel free to take a look at some of our pictures so you can get an idea of the herb field we volunteered at...

Just click on this link and then look to the left under the album section!

Herb field photo's

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb