Sunshine, scenery and only one sad little pony


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Minehead
March 13th 2011
Published: April 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wooo Hooo, new National Park to explore with a weekend away in Exmoor ... land of stunning landscapes, wilderness and tranquility (yep I read the brochure!).

As with most weekends it follows a well rehearsed schedule, run out of work, car, drive, eat, drink, laugh and hike, then do it all again before the drive home! This trip we had exclusive use of YHA Minehead (YHA rocks my world!) which is a couple of miles back from the sea, set up in the Exmoor hills, a lovely location, just watch those speed bumps, they'll take the exhaust pipe off (go very, very carefully). Nice location though.

Saturday was a round hike from Bossington out along the rocky headlands up and down the craggy landscape of the Exmoor coast (recognised as a Heritage Coast in 1991). We headed out through the chocolate box village and up around Hurlstone Point and then off to find every nook and cranny of Bossington Hill before heading off down the other side and back through Porlock (quite relaxed hike actually!). Really didn't seem to go a huge distance length wise, but seemed to climb up and down a lot! Joyfully the sun came out and the views across the water to Wales was lovely.

Sunday we got to walk out from the medieval village of Dunster just over the hill from the hostel. Pretty little village with a castle, a nice green walk and an awesome teashop at the end. I have to hike just to offset the booze, food and cream teas consumed on these trips! My biggest excitement for Sunday was pulling on the sunglasses for the first time in 6 months! Yes I have a very low excitement level, but I'd rather be that way than adopt the pretence of world weariness, life is good!

Jane x


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Holnicote EstateHolnicote Estate
Holnicote Estate

Never have to be lost1


6th April 2011

Beautiful photos Miss Jane

Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 102; dbt: 0.168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb