Welly City - Glastonbury, 2009!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Glastonbury
June 26th 2009
Published: February 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Glastonbury 26th - 28th June, 2009



Glastonbury is the biggest music and performing arts festival in the world held outdoors at Worthy Farm, Glastonbury in Somerset. This years attendance was 134,000.

Rupesh and I travelled down to Somerset on Friday afternoon after seeing Erin & Mark off at Kings Cross (they were to fly back to Melbourne after an 8 week honeymoon) but keen festival goes started bagging their pieces of grass from Wednesday afternoon. The big acts of the festival didn't come on stage until Friday night and the last of the music finished on Sunday evening with some people travelling back on Sunday evening and others staying until Monday.

When we arrived I rang a friend who had taken our tent and set it up. She asked where we were and I said we had just parked and were walking towards the gate (or that's what I thought I was looking at!). I think it was a good 2-3 hours later before we finally met up! What I thought was the gate was actually just an opening between the trees - the gate was a good few kilometres away (we were parked in an overflow carpark). And of course there was more than one gate! And the tent where our friends were was another couple of kilometres from the gate! The size of glastonbury is what I was initially amazed by and then it was just the array of wellington boots (gumboots). I also didn't expect to see families with their young kids. But there is even a family camping area.

We enjoyed lots of music over the 3 days with our favourites being Rolf Harris, The Script, Blur, Tom Jones, White Lies & Bruce Springsteen. There was so much good food being freshly cooked the whole time and lots of good people watching. I may have started taking photos of all the different wellies I saw with the plan of making a collage of them one day. The wellingtons were essential on Friday after heavy rain on the Thursday night. There was mud everywhere. Surprisingly, the ground did dry out on Saturday and Sunday - it was so hot that the sunscreen and hats had to come out.

There were a few tributes to Michael Jackson as news spread of his passing on the Thursday night of Glastonbury. And by Friday there were even t-shirts that had been made in his honour!

We opted for driving home on the Sunday night, getting back to London in the early hours of Monday and then off to work! I think this was a better option than getting stuck in traffic for several hours as 130,000 people tried to leave Glastonbury on Monday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.366s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 27; qc: 103; dbt: 0.1119s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb