We found the sun in the Lake District and Cape Cod


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Woodstock
June 13th 2012
Published: June 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

For 10 days before we left England in the middle of the Diamond Jubilee Celebration, the sun stayed with us. We enjoyed the Lake District and then continued south through heavily wooded country. We continued to visit as many National Trust properties as we could and found our way to Sizergh Castle and Lower Sizergh Barn farm shop and their farm trail. Continuing on to Wenlock Edge, we hiked the Wenlock Edge, a narrow escarpment that enabled us to see for miles. We however were never able to find the Pub that was promised. We did finally use our motor scooter to visit the Iron Bridge, the first cast iron bridge built in the world (1779).



Our visit to Croome Court, highlighted the intricate architecture and vast natural gardens. We learned how the craftsmen created the architectural beauty and a little of their biographies. The original owner spent 12 years creating a private river 1 ¼ mile long to grace this gorgeous property.



One of our final treats was to stay at a caravan park on the Blenheim Palace grounds and to be able to easily walk to the palace and see where Sir Winston Churchill was born. It is the palace of the Duke and Duchess of Marlborough and a large portion of the first floor is devoted to Sir Winston Churchill’s public life. We remembered his inspirational speeches during WWII and his involvement as the war ended. Tour guides provided us with detailed information about how important the Battle of Blenheim was in the history and future of England. Later we were able to walk to the cemetery and see the graves of Sir Winston and his family (Spencer-Churchill). We asked why he wasn’t buried in the vault at the palace and found out that only the Dukes (not Duchesses) of Marlborough can have that honor.



To ready our motor home for storage, we stay near our storage facility and prepare it for several months of storage. This year we were in the middle of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebration throughout the UK with buntings, flags and great enthusiasm.



As you can see as we have prepared our deck on the Cape for the summer, we brought bunting home with us. Our weather since returning home has been warm and sunny, a perfect setting for enjoying the summer.



We shall continue our blog in September when we plan to travel to Northern Germany.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Union Bridge over River TweedUnion Bridge over River Tweed
Union Bridge over River Tweed

when built in 1820 this was the longest iron suspension bridge in the world


Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb