Journey South


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Settle
July 2nd 2014
Published: July 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Tuesd

ay 1 July

Left Wick with plans to finish around Aviemore. Finally managed to see some wildlife, driving past a couple of red deer, seeing seals on the Cromarty Firth and then watching a dolphin at North Kessock Dolphin Centre (Inverness). Moe was on a mission to cover some of the hundreds of miles that the Sat Nav were showing to get to Bingley so drove straight through the Cairngorns sticking to the main A9 having experienced enough single roads. Stopped for a short break at pretty Pitlochry. Strolled around village and enjoyed tea and cake. Finally stopped at campsite near Glenrothes to avoid hitting Edinburgh at rush hour. Too tired to cook so after watching second half of Argentina match, walked to Balbirnie House, through the country park for a pleasant meal at the Bistro.



Wednesday 2 July

After a lay in, made off for another long journey. Stopped at Gretna Green for lunch following a go in the Maze and a visit to the Blacksmith's shop. The Blacksmith's is where the weddings used to take place and it can still be booked for your special day. We made the decision to do a long drive so that we could have a two night stay Wednesday and Thursday so Moe can recover from all the driving. We found a site via the internet and arrived to find a pleasant site at a good price so all good. Fired up the BBQ to cook dinner with burgers and pork fillet on the menu. We are due to meet with Christine and Dave Friday morning so it leaves us with a short drive of an hour to meet them for lunch. With main course devoured we are sat watching the tennis about to do the Wimbledon thing and have strawberries and cream for pudding. After dinner a short walk is planned into the local village of Little Staneforth to have a nose before hitting the sack.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.321s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb