Mon and Tues, 22nd and 23rd. It's quite nice up north, actually.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » North York Moors
December 23rd 2008
Published: December 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Easby AbbeyEasby AbbeyEasby Abbey

Just a mile or so from Richmond, a magical place.
Yorkshire did me proud, and I woke up to a perfect clear blue day, albeit a touch brisk but as lovely as could have been hoped for. I jumped in the car and headed off to some of my favourite Richmond spots to take some photos.

Richmond’s a very picturesque, and historical place.

First Stop was Easby Abbey, just a mile or so down the road. It was built in 1150 but has been in ruin for a very long time now. We’d had some crazy times down here as kids, throwing ourselves off the bridge into the river Swale on the odd hot day and generally playing silly b*ggers all about the place. On such a clear day it looked its best but it was cold enough to keep everyone else away.

I took advantage of the car and went to a few different viewpoints, as I guess you can see from all the pictures.

Next was a wander into town. Woolworths was always there, forever, but the whole chain across the UK has gone bust and is in the process of closing down, so lots of people were scavenging for bargains. I should point out for the non-Brits amongst you that Woolworths in the UK is very different to in Oz. I think part of its problem was that it never had a clear identity. It sold CDs and music, books etc, but also tools, ornaments, sweets………I thought about having 1 last go at nicking some pick and mix, for old time’s sake, but decided getting caught doing that would just be too ironic so opted out. Apart from Woolies, the town seems to be doing OK, not exactly thriving but keeping its self afloat with people as well as shops etc. Apart from anything else, it’s such a pretty place……..

After some of Mum’s good home cooking (worth the journey alone) I joined my Dad for his Monday night ritual - his share investors club. This involved meeting up with some of his mates in one of the pubs - The Turf - and talking about anything and everything - except shares and investing which seemed to be a ‘no-go’ area.

But the streets of my lovely home town do seem to have got meaner. A totally innocent remark to a young lad resulted in immediate agro, w@nker... This is my town………
Abbey viewed from the Echo StoneAbbey viewed from the Echo StoneAbbey viewed from the Echo Stone

Stand on this stone, and shout / scream / belch, and the noise bounces all around the valley. Endless childhood amusement, still applicable to adults.


Tuesday was one of my favourite places - the Tan Hill Inn which is maybe 25 miles away, right up Swaledale, and is the highest pub in Gt. Britain. A spectacularly wild and remote place, its inside (not outside) was the pub used as ‘The Slaughtered Lamb’ in the scene of ‘American Werewolf in London’ when strangers stagger in out of the night and are met with a less than friendly reception.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu_2likGlok

It looks a bit different these days - they also film a lot of double-glazing adverts there, it’s a good spot for it what with being a tiny bit breezy and all. Here’s a vintage classic:-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MBPWJfq4dDA

It was quite sunny and nice when we left Richmond but by the time we got up there it was freezing and shrouded in cloud. But it’s lovely inside, all warm flat beer, roaring open fires, home cooking and dogs. A couple of ‘Black Sheep’ - local bitter - and a hearty bowl of soup did the trick. It wasn’t a photogenic day so didn’t get around to taking any photos, I stole one off theirs off their website instead.

I think we’re set
View of Richmond from near EasbyView of Richmond from near EasbyView of Richmond from near Easby

it's a photogenic town.......never used to have highland cattle though.
for a laid back end to the day, and crickey if it isn’t Christmas Eve tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Richmond InhabitantsRichmond Inhabitants
Richmond Inhabitants

One for the Kiwis amongst you - but Yorkshire has sheep too!
The death of an institutionThe death of an institution
The death of an institution

Poor old Woolies.....
The Tan Hill InnThe Tan Hill Inn
The Tan Hill Inn

please check the youtube links, they're very good......


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb