Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Blogs from Norwich
Latest Blogs from Norwich
- March 3rd 2014 First Post Recapitulation
by Words: 573 Photos: 0
- September 16th 2013 A tour of Suffolk and Norfolk
by Words: 1096 Photos: 8
- March 20th 2013 Around Norwich (UK 2013)
by Words: 43 Photos: 14
- January 12th 2013 Topophilia, Norwich.
by Words: 1193 Photos: 1
- October 8th 2011 So here we go....
by Words: 94 Photos: 5
- August 5th 2011 Who The Heck am I?
by Words: 139 Photos: 0
- July 21st 2011 4 days to go!!!
by Words: 105 Photos: 0
- June 22nd 2011 Home
by Words: 8 Photos: 1
- June 19th 2011 The 20 Questions...
by Words: 139 Photos: 2
- June 11th 2011 The Plan
by Words: 4 Photos: 0
- October 8th 2010 Dear Ayla: Hi back. Love, Norwich (and UEA)
by Words: 660 Photos: 0
- July 4th 2010 Trip Getting Closer
by Words: 25 Photos: 2
- February 22nd 2010 Skyline of Norwich
by Words: 446 Photos: 35
- December 9th 2009 It's All Over Now!
by Words: 754 Photos: 6
- August 29th 2009 1 week to go!
by Words: 185 Photos: 0
- June 30th 2009 Sea Coast - Great Yarmouth
by Words: 353 Photos: 8
- April 2nd 2009 Aahhh, it's good to be back
by Words: 1857 Photos: 14
- March 18th 2009 Heading Due South!
by Words: 209 Photos: 0
- February 11th 2009 On your marks!
by Words: 101 Photos: 0
- January 15th 2009 Flight Day
by Words: 991 Photos: 2